The strangest or oddest thing you've ever seen

Yankee4Life

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is Jacqueline Saburido's story "strange?" She was a pretty young girl, horribly disfigured in a drunk-driving car accident.

She's been on Oprah, and many other shows, I'm sure.

In September 1999, Saburido attended a birthday party near Austin, Texas. She and her friends Laura Guerrero, Johan Daal, and Johanna Gil accepted a ride home from a classmate, Natalia Chpytchak Bennett. Reginald Stephey, a 17-year-old high school student, was on his way home after drinking beer with his friends. On the outskirts of Austin, Stephey's 1996 GMC Yukon veered into Bennett's 1990 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Regency, which was carrying Saburido and the others. Guerrero and Bennett were killed instantly. Gil and Daal were injured but not seriously. Saburido's feet were trapped under the seat and she could not get out in time.

The car caught fire. Two paramedics, John McIntosh and Bryan Fitzpatrick, happened to be driving past when Stephey flagged them down. The flames were leaping several feet up into the air as they arrived. McIntosh put out the fire with his extinguisher and the two men set about removing everyone from the vehicle.

Saburido was trapped, and the fire returned. McIntosh and Fitzpatrick were forced back, and Saburido was left to burn for around 45 seconds as the flames engulfed the vehicle. A fire truck arrived and put out the fire, Saburido was cut from the car and airlifted to the burns unit in Galveston.

Saburido suffered burns, mainly third degree, to over 60% of her body. She survived, reportedly despite the expectations of her doctors. All of her fingers were burned off, but there was enough bone left on her thumb to construct an opposable thumb. She lost her hair, ears, nose, lips, left eyelid and much of her vision. She has undergone more than 150 operations since the crash, including cornea transplants, which have restored her vision.

The story is inspiring and horrific at the same time.

Photos, both pre- and post-accident: http://carapote.free.fr/jaqueline/ALCOOLAUVOLANT

I just found another thing stranger that those 2 girls. Just 2 words: jacqueline saburido. Search on Google: but be careful.
Dude thats just mean. Thats like the time we called you a lier about those "Coma" stories you where telling us. How did you feel after that?

BigRog: I don't think superciuc meant to be MEAN, I just think he chose his words poorly.

As for you, BigRog: there is absolutely no reason to bring up other, unrelated issues like you just did. And there is no reason for you to try to "moderate" any perceived wrongs, but throwing out more inflamatory material. This isn't the first time you've done this kind of thing, and (sadly) I'm sure it won't be the last. So, in the mean time: STOP IT.

Superciuc, my advice to you, is ignore that last comment by BigRog, and just let this thread continue on peacefully, or whatever passes for it in this oddly see-sawing thread.

Superciuc, my advice to you, is ignore that last comment by BigRog, and just let this thread continue on peacefully, or whatever passes for it in this oddly see-sawing thread.

Yeah, i'l just ignore him. Still, who's Oprah?

I was just trying to compare his sadness from that incident to that sadness she must receive from all the ridicule people give her for that. I didn't mean to be a jerk about it and I possibly did jump to conclusions too soon before fully understanding his meaning behind the post.

I was just trying to compare his sadness from that incident to that sadness she must receive from all the ridicule people give her for that. I didn't mean to be a jerk about it and I possibly did jump to conclusions too soon before fully understanding his meaning behind the post.

That's ok BigRog. I chosed my words poorly. Well, even my english is poor :wink:

But i think that i'm better then Arod1989 :D

btw, abc you spelled steroids wrong while attempting to make fun of someone elses' spelling issues
Oh wow, that really shows my complete stupidity because of one single typo! Thanks for making the judging of the entire character of a human being so simple!

Oh wow, that really shows my complete stupidity because of one single typo! Thanks for making the judging of the entire character of a human being so simple!

Wow it wasn't even that serious, the man just pointed out the irony

Archived