Baseball Cigarette commercials

Yankee4Life

I recently found some cigarette commercials featuring baseball players and I found them fascinating. You see, long before most of you were born cigarette commercials were shown on television. In 1971, President Nixon outlawed the showing of all cigarette commercials on television. So, there's your history lesson on cigarettes on TV for today. :)

The reason why I am posting this is not because I'm a fan of smoking (I never started that habit and I won't now) but because they featured some pretty famous baseball players of the day. Each commercial starts out showing the particular player and then it shows them grabbing a Camel and taking a nice, long puff. As they exhale, they have a look of contentment and satisfaction. It's a typical 1950's style advertisement.

As you will be able to tell, this was way before people found out how bad it was to smoke.

The players I have are as follows:

Allie Reynolds

Early Wynn

Enos Slaughter

Jackie Jensen

Jim Bunning

Jim Hegan

Mickey Mantle

Preacher Roe

Red Schoendienst

Vern Stephens

Whitey Ford

Also:

1. Cleveland ace pitchers Bob Lemon, Early Wynn and Mike Garcia are in one commercial together.

2. There's a final one with various players in it including Mantle, Granny Hamner, Jackie Jensen and Enos Slaughter in it together.

I have a sample one for you all to view, this is of Mickey Mantle. Post your comments here as to what you think of it.

Archived