The Official Fantasy Baseball thread of 2008

Totte

Figured I'd start this thread so that we all have a place to discuss our teams, draft order, potential trades, share thoughts on sleepers or busts...well anything that's related to fantasy baseball

Good luck to all of you that's participating in a league for the upcoming season!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What players do you feel will be big busts this year? Will that player have a bad year cuz he's on a bad team or is he worth taking as a sleeper?

Any good prospects you'd wanna watch out for this season just like we had Ryan Braun come up big last year? I keep hearing Evan Longoria and Yovani Gallardo so far...

Will Santana pitch like a God for the Mets? Can you select him with the no.1 overall pick without a blink ahead of A-Rod, Pujols, Reyes, Holiday, Ordonez, Beckett, Sabathia etc.

Will D-Train and Miggy's performances take a dip because of their move to the AL or will they both turn out to be studs?

I think Coco Crisp, Johan Santana, A-Rod, Schilling

Coco Crisp as a late steal or bust or...?

I don't think he'll get any playing time from Ellsbury unless he's moved to another club like the Padres or A's. Then he'd definitely be Fantasy worthy

What players do you feel will be big busts this year? Will that player have a bad year cuz he's on a bad team or is he worth taking as a sleeper?

I think Magglio Ordonez will see a serious decline in numbers, and I don't think Chris Young (the Padres pitcher) will sustain his success.

Any good prospects you'd wanna watch out for this season just like we had Ryan Braun come up big last year? I keep hearing Evan Longoria and Yovani Gallardo so far...

Obviously those 2 guys and Jay Bruce, but I also think that maybe Carlos Gonzalez has a chance to play well. He has done nothing but hit in the minors and he might be able to win a roster spot with the A's. Some other names to keep in mind: Adam Miller (could be a bullpen option), Carlos Quentin (will finally get regular AB's) and Andrew Miller (not good for wins, but will play in a pitcher's park in a weaker NL)

Will Santana pitch like a God for the Mets? Can you select him with the no.1 overall pick without a blink ahead of A-Rod, Pujols, Reyes, Holiday, Ordonez, Beckett, Sabathia etc.

I would never take a pitcher with the 1st pick. I'd rather go with someone like David Wright, Hanley Ramirez and even a guy like Utley would make sense.

Will D-Train and Miggy's performances take a dip because of their move to the AL or will they both turn out to be studs?

Willis already had a lousy season last year and I don't expect him to do much better. Cabrera will probably put up the same type of numbers he always has, especially in that lineup, but he might have some adjustment problems at the start of the year.

I'm thinking about starting a fantasy league on yahoo when it opens up, so hopefully there will be some interest (although it would be my first time as commisioner).

I'm thinking about starting a fantasy league on yahoo when it opens up, so hopefully there will be some interest (although it would be my first time as commisioner).

I'm sure a couple of users here at the boards would be interested in playing if you promote it well :)

well, the reason I'd like to start one myself is so I can add some other scoring categories which most standard fantasy leagues don't use. Plus I can arrange for a more suitable draft time (I'll keep the American timezone in mind of course). I'm sure Totte wouldn't like drafting his players at 3 in the night either ;)

I'm sure Totte wouldn't like drafting his players at 3 in the night either ;)

You're right but it won't affect me this year as I'll be in the States on vacation from mid-March + 3 weeks leaving me with no other option than an auto-draft :wink:

A sleeper might include a Nate Robertson or Jeremy Bonderman. Bonderman went berserk at the end of last year and with the Tigers' offense getting better, I expect Bonderman to win at least 14 games.

well, the reason I'd like to start one myself is so I can add some other scoring categories which most standard fantasy leagues don't use. Plus I can arrange for a more suitable draft time (I'll keep the American timezone in mind of course). I'm sure Totte wouldn't like drafting his players at 3 in the night either ;)

I'll tell you something: I would draft my players even at 4 AM :wink:

Aaron Hill is a good sleeper pick. He's shown steady improvement every year he's been in the league and he's got a legitimate shot of hitting .300 with some decent power numbers (for a second basemen). Plus, last year he also had SS eligibilty, not sure if he will this year as well.

On another note, I took a risk taking Jake Peavy in the 2nd round last year and got blasted for it. We all know how that turned out :D

Aaron Hill is a good sleeper pick. He's shown steady improvement every year he's been in the league and he's got a legitimate shot of hitting .300 with some decent power numbers (for a second basemen). Plus, last year he also had SS eligibilty, not sure if he will this year as well.

On another note, I took a risk taking Jake Peavy in the 2nd round last year and got blasted for it. We all know how that turned out :D

I had both of those guys last year and they were solid. I grabbed Peavy in the 2nd round too and got Hill on the waiver wire after the draft.

You guys think Hill could slip to down to around the 15th round?

Ok - so I'll repost the commishioner's note I made in my friends and family league here. I'm looking for some opinions on what I should do with the league structure. (Ignore the overexplanation - it's needed for some people)

Here's the deal:

Last year's configuration:

10 teams with 25 players per team (like MLB rules)

However, I am hoping to have 12 teams this year, and with 25 players per team, there would be slim pickings. Therefore, it wouldn't be that much fun. I liked last year's deep roster, so I will at least have more than the standard 22 that Yahoo has. If you do the math, last year we had 250 taken players. The MLB has 30 teams, which means there are 420 starters available (Counting 8 positions, 5 starters, 1 closer [doesn't include viable other relief pitchers]). If we have 12 teams with 25 players each, that comes to 300 players, which may sound okay at first. However, not all of those 420 players start regularly. So, I propose that we go with 23 players per team, elimination 2 bench spots and keeping the extra utility spot, that would give us 276 players. The extra 26 players needed would make things interesting.

Ok - so I'll repost the commishioner's note I made in my friends and family league here. I'm looking for some opinions on what I should do with the league structure. (Ignore the overexplanation - it's needed for some people)

We run 12 teams, 24 players incl UTIL/DH in our league over at ESPN and it works great.

Can you post your full position breakdown?

I can tell you on monday as I got a message from ESPN once I logged in to view our positions from last year that they're working on a new version of the site.

So how do you feel about the Bedard trade guys? Even though they guy can't seem to reach 200 IP's, he shoud be worth ranking really high cuz of Safeco being pitcher friendly.

You think Adam Jones is a good sleeper pickup in the really late rounds or should he be grabbed earlier in say the 15th round or so?

So how do you feel about the Bedard trade guys? Even though they guy can't seem to reach 200 IP's, he shoud be worth ranking really high cuz of Safeco being pitcher friendly.

You think Adam Jones is a good sleeper pickup in the really late rounds or should he be grabbed earlier in say the 15th round or so?

Bedard certainly will be ranked high and I think you may even see people drafting him way too early. Despite the fact he's moving to Safeco, the main reason he'll be so popular is because of his performance last year, which at times was flat out dominant. Health is definately an issue, but even without 200 IP, he's a wanted fantasy pitcher.

as for Jones, I really wouldn't use any early round picks on him. There's no denying his potential, but he's still very raw and has some serious plate discipline issues which could really hurt his BA and OBP. However, he should hit for some power and steal a couple of bags. Quite frankly, I wouldn't draft him at all and just scour the waiver wire, unless you really wanna take a gamble.

Please update when your league is ready, either Totte or philliesfan

Bedard trade boost his value a lot, it really comes down to if people are going to overdraft him or not, if he is picked early 3rd round, that's a little bit overdrafted, but I definitely see him in mid-to-late 3rd round or so in a 12 team league.

Bottom line for Bedard: high upside, moderate risk, an ace for sure.

If not keeper, I'll let Jones go, until 20th round or so, but if Sherill got a nice spring in O's camp, then I'm going with him as a sleeper for sure.

Talking about sleepers, a healthy Lyle Overbay is very helpful for a utility spot.

I agree with everyone saying not to draft Jones. He is nothing more than a prospect at this point, along with a whole host of others who are being hyped, and you just don't take a prospect in the draft because: 1) He won't be getting any regular playing time...at least not for the first month or 2 of the season, so you really can't expect to see him in the lineup on a regular basis until late May or early June, and 2) He might end up being terrible. He will be a rookie, after all, and most rookies don't have a whole lot of success at first...it usually takes a couple of years to really get going and establish yourself as an everyday player.

So, don't take any guys who didn't play in MLB for at least a couple of months last season in your draft...they are just too much of a question mark.

I agree with everyone saying not to draft Jones. He is nothing more than a prospect at this point, along with a whole host of others who are being hyped, and you just don't take a prospect in the draft because: 1) He won't be getting any regular playing time...at least not for the first month or 2 of the season, so you really can't expect to see him in the lineup on a regular basis until late May or early June, and 2) He might end up being terrible. He will be a rookie, after all, and most rookies don't have a whole lot of success at first...it usually takes a couple of years to really get going and establish yourself as an everyday player.

So, don't take any guys who didn't play in MLB for at least a couple of months last season in your draft...they are just too much of a question mark.

well, it doesn't always work out that way. Ryan Braun for example started hitting right away (although nobody drafted him). I think you really have to read some scouting reports and study the numbers, as well as knowing whether a young guy will play or not. Last year I drafted Alex Gordon, because it was clear he'd be the starting 3rd baseman for the Royals, and there was no indication he wouldn't put up solid numbers in the majors (which turned out to be false). Sometimes it's worth taking a gamble on some prospect, but in the case of Jones, it's definately a wait and see game.

Archived