The Official Fantasy Baseball thread of 2008

Totte

Ryan Braun for example started hitting right away (although nobody drafted him). I think you really have to read some scouting reports and study the numbers, as well as knowing whether a young guy will play or not. Last year I drafted Alex Gordon, because it was clear he'd be the starting 3rd baseman for the Royals, and there was no indication he wouldn't put up solid numbers in the majors (which turned out to be false). Sometimes it's worth taking a gamble on some prospect, but in the case of Jones, it's definately a wait and see game.

I think I grabbed Gordon in like the 13th round or so. I expected really good numbers from him put actually ended up releasing him around the ASB.

I think you guys are absolutely right on Jones...he's a waiver wire pick a month or so into the season.

Btw, did you buy the Draftguide over at Rotoworld? I did and it looks really promising already and Spring Training hasn't even started yet :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you guys expecting out of Hughes this year? I think he'll pitch the best of the 3 young arms for the Yanks.

I think he'll be good for around 12-13 wins with an ERA around 4.50. My only concern is how many innings the Yankees will let him pitch if he doesn't get injured.

If he doesn't get hurt, I think he could hit 160-180 innings. He pitched about 150 innings in AA in 2006, and he might have saved a bit of his arm last year due to his injury.

For one league, I have Franchise Players 08 in league number 10666, I draft twelfth.

My other team, The Naturals 08 is in league 10654, I have the second overall pick.

I use prerankings, I don't like live drafts.

EDIT: Would you think it's a good move to take Hanley with the second overall pick? He was great last year and projects to be even better.

EDIT: Would you think it's a good move to take Hanley with the second overall pick? He was great last year and projects to be even better.

I'm calling Jose Reyes as a safer pick than Hanley for sure, Hanley got potentials, but with a weakened lineup it is hard to reach those lofty numbers we projected before the big trade happens.

Upside is Hanley will have WAY more RBI's than he had last year as No. 3/4 hitter.

in my buffalo braves one happily i have the 1st overall pick im not sure what to do with that pick....maybe johan santana hanley and a-rod have also been in my mind

A-Rod, by half a mile, as much as I hate him, still draft him first

in my buffalo braves one happily i have the 1st overall pick im not sure what to do with that pick....maybe johan santana hanley and a-rod have also been in my mind

Depends what you want first. If you want pitching then go with Santana. If you want batting then go with A-Rod, no doubt. Also, Hanley isn't worth a top pick. He's probably a mid first rounder, just not a top overall pick.

Definately go with Arod. I wouldn't draft a pitcher with my pick, even Santana, because there's just too much risk involved.

Depends what you want first. If you want pitching then go with Santana. If you want batting then go with A-Rod, no doubt. Also, Hanley isn't worth a top pick. He's probably a mid first rounder, just not a top overall pick.

Hanley is definitely worth a second overall pick for sure, if you got him mid-first round, holy cow you've got a bargain!

I agree with more risk for a starter factors into not using him as a first pick, at least not first overall. If a player is hurt, perhaps they miss a game or two, but they can play 162 games. If a starter gets hurt, they miss a start or two, which leaves like another 30 or so games left. It's too much of a high-risk high-reward to me.

I agree with more risk for a starter factors into not using him as a first pick, at least not first overall. If a player is hurt, perhaps they miss a game or two, but they can play 162 games. If a starter gets hurt, they miss a start or two, which leaves like another 30 or so games left. It's too much of a high-risk high-reward to me.

exactly. Even a guy like Santana will bring some risk with him. He's definately a first rounder, but not first overall.

Hey guys im in a fantasy league as a part of the mlb.com 2008 open, in a 12 team fantasy league u preselect players from each position and select a whole pitching staff. U can choose to be part of an automatic or manual draft, i joined an auto draft league and this is how my team turned out.

Starting lineup

P Tigers

C C. Snyder

1B J. Votto

2B P. Polanco

3B R. Braun

SS T. Tulowitzki

OF J. Bruce

OF C. Young

OF K. Griffey

Bench

P Reds

1B R. Garko

2B,SS,OF K. Frandsen

3B E. Encarnacion

OF W. Pena

OF A. Jones

Wat do u guys think of course i took a couple risks with Votto, Bruce and Frandsen but i think it looks pretty strong. PS. I think Joey Votto will have a great rookie season look for him as rookie of the year candidate for 2008.

The rules for the league ar as follows:

League Settings

Number of teams: 12

Scoring system: Head-to-head

League Regular Season ends: July 27, 2008

League Playoffs run: July 28, 2008 to Aug 10, 2008

Roster Size:

Your roster may consist of up to 15 players:

1 Catcher

1 First Baseman

1 Second Baseman

1 Shortstop

1 Third Baseman

3 Outfielders

1 Pitching Staff

6 Bench Players

Position Eligibility:

10 games at a position in either 2007 or 2008.

Lineup lock time:

Each week you must set your starting lineup. For each player on your roster, you will have until five (5) minutes prior to the start of each player's first MLB game being played each week to place each player into your starting lineup for that week.

Point Scoring System:

Your players will score points for you each day on which MLB regular season games are played based on the following formula:

Hitters

Single = 1

Double = 2

Triple = 3

Home Run = 4

Run = 1

RBI = 1

Walk = 1

Stolen Base = 2

Caught Stealing = -1

Pitching Staffs (the pitching point system has changed in 2008)

Win = 5

Strikeouts

0-4 = 0

5-7 = 1

8-10 = 2

11-13 = 3

14-16 = 5

17-19 = 7

20+ = 10

Earned Runs Allowed

0 = 10

1 = 7

2 = 5

3 = 3

4 = 2

5 = 1

6+ = 0

Hits + Walks allowed

0 = 30

1 = 20

2 = 15

3 = 10

4-5 = 7

6-8 = 4

9-11 = 2

12-14 = 1

15+ = 0

I like Hughes and as long as there isnt any crazy yankee fans in your draft he's available at good value! Joba is being drafted way too early(as early as the 9th round) IMO sure he has all the potential in the world but he has never started a major league game and will have an innings cap on him.

Archived