New computer gear recommendations

ishotlove

I'm able to get my computer to run MVP mostly without any choppiness at 800x600x32. Right now, I have...

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2.0 ghz

1gb PC3200 DDR RAM

Zogis GeForce FX5500 w/ 256mb RAM

I'm looking to get...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ @ 3.2 ghz

G.Skill 4gb PC6400 DDR2 RAM

HIS Radeon 2600XT w/ 512mb RAM

Do you guys think that will be enough to run MVP at like 1280x1024 with everything 2x, without a hiccup? I'll be getting that plus a new board and case for a little over $400. Didn't sound too shabby.

Why play it at that resolution? Don't get me wrong, I've never tried it that way, but I am just satisfied playing it at 800x600.

Altho, my dynasty season is on hold due to a mid-season crashing issue, in which I'm still waiting on responses...lol...

In my humble opinion, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...lol

I agree. MVP should not be your main force in getting this pc. I play at max settings at 1024 by 768. And thats on a pentium 4 Northie at 3.2ghz. 1.25gb Ram and a piece of garb Gigbayte Radeon 9200se 128mb.

Ive played this as well on my friends dual core system that has 4gb ram and 8800gtx nvidia. With max settings and at 4x it did not wow me. If you were trying to play more visually orgasmic games then by all means spend the money. But MVP, psssh just a waste to do so. And most other games pre 2005 as well.

it's not my main reason for getting this rig because i do a lot of video editing and stuff but i want to be able to play MVP on max settings with no hiccups. i can see a big difference from 800x600 and 1024x768 visually. i haven't tried on 1280x1024, don't know if there's that big of a leap as there is with 800x600 to 1024x768. i think i just need a faster processor right now but if i'm gonna get upgrades, i might as well do it right. it's only $400 or so, it's not that bad.

that's not true. I have under a gig, and mine runs perfectly fine on high.

Thats the knowledge I have accumulated. I believe I have seen Redsox mention that to many people asking this question and I figured he was smart so I used his answer :D

yeah i have to agree with stedfunk, 1280x1024 just looks so much more crisp. i don't know how anybody can't tell the different from that and 800x600. plus with all the 2x graphics, it's gonna look gorgeous.

It is not that you cannot tell the difference. Its that 400 bucks to make an old gen game look better isnt worth it. Newer games could use the upped system. Not mvp. This game I could care less about visuals, all i need is gameplay. Thats why 2k is what it is, despite great visuals and all. Ohhh burn.

I am running on 800x600, with 1x Uniforms, on a 2.6ghz processor, 512mb of Ram, and a GeForce 256mb video card. No problems at all. I have 2006 mod installed with the latest updated rosters. I love it!

Only thing is, I can't continue my dynasty season until I figure out why it crashes while simulating minor league games on the 6/21/05 schedule.

My lord people the hardware you guys are discribing are so out of date...like mid 90's stuff. Updating computers these days are really cheap...I'm a sales rep at Tiger Direct so if you guys need any advice or in the Toronto area give me a shout..i'm glad to give computer advice.

Well if theres no need to waste the money then why upgrade. Im sure many people here dont play many games that require the lastest pc. If your a moderate or barely a gamer then save the bux, right?

Why recommend newer more expensive hardware when the game being played is from 95. The hardware being described maybe from the 90's but is also appropriate for this game and his wallet.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I've decided not to go high tech and just get something that'll allow me to play MVP at the max settings smoothly because that's really the most demanding thing I do on my computer nowadays. What will be good enough to do that?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ @ 3.2 ghz

G.Skill 4gb PC6400 DDR2 RAM

HIS Radeon 2600XT w/ 512mb RAM

This is more than good enough... I have a worse processor, only 1.5g ram, and a radeon x550 (256 MB) and I can play on 1280x1024 easily, including with all the mods and such... The only time it stutters is when it's showing a large portion of the crowd, which doesn't happen often...

Then I must be doing something wrong. Athlon XP @ 2.0 ghz, 1 gb ram, and a GeForce FX5500 with 256 mb ram. 800x600 plays smooth mostly but anything higher is too choppy which sucks because there's a big leap in quality from 800x600 to 1024x768 (to me). Does anybody have any ideas of what could be my problem then?

To be 100% honest the nicest upgrade i ever made to my gaming experience in and out of MVP was a 24 inch wide screen monitor. I through significant fiddling and ignoring the occasional crash run 4x unis for most of the teams i play with and against and the larger screen or more specifically the 1920x1600 resolution causes the game to use llods (or Low Level Of Definition which means ugliness for those who never UNi modded) less and give u more detail. It is quite awesome and its far form the only game i play that has gotten better from the new monitor. Of course along with the 300 for the monitor i had to invest another 300 into a video card to allow MVP to handle a 1920x1600 res and the video card was 50% off so that could get quite expensive.

If your looking for something cheaper. Memory is the most common cause for computers to run things slowly. Many people think these huge Dual/Quad core 3+ghz processors will give them super computers but the reality is that memory handcuffs a processor to when buying memory speed is > processor speed.

hmm. I just put it onto my tv (40" Bravia) and maybe it was just me but it did seem to help a tad bit but it's still choppy. 1024x768 seemed slightly smoother. I check my task manager as I was running the game it i'm definitely good with memory. with the game running, i'm only using 290 mb of my gig (plus page file) so I don't think i'm running out of memory at all. my processor definitely maxes out though. so i'm assuming when it gets to those points where it takes more processing power (lots of crowd, throwing across the diamond, etc...) that's why it starts to get choppy because there's no more cpu to use. does that make sense to anybody else?

it aint memory size its quality.

Idk waht kind of memory u use.

But say your CPU runs at 2.5 GHZ but your memory's Bus speed is only 200 mhz your never gonna use the full power of your cpu. The best upgrades for MVP if its slow for you are Video card and faster memory.

Archived