Hey, check this out! Gameshark's Top Ten baseball games

Yankee4Life

First off, the link for this article. This guy over at Gameshark rates his top ten baseball games, and while I have some questions with the games he picked, he did have some very nice things to say about you guys who are modders on this site and on Eamods.

He gives an "honorable" mention to Mvp Baseball 2005. Check out what he says about the modding community for this game:

The PC version deserves special note because the mod community turned a good game into something special.

his trend isn’t a new one in the baseball genre, as people were looking for a viable alternative after 3DO’s High Heat Baseball fell off the wagon—the PC community shifted to MVP and the results were spectacular – after the community got its hands on it.

And here's my favorite paragraph of the entire article:

If you look at MVP 05 solely on the content on the disk, it’s a good yet still highly flawed game. It wasn’t until the modders actually tooled around with it that it reached its iconic status. This level of modding is also different from what happened with games like High Heat which provided some of the modding tools in its tune file. MVP isn’t in the Top Ten simply because the community went in and fixed the game. Still, it deserves mention because after the mod projects, MVP 05 was excellent.

This guy just confirms what we veteran Mvpmods members have known for years, that you guys who mod are the best at what you do!!

Check out the article, you might like it.

My personal Top Ten

1. Mvp Baseball 2005 (PC)

2. High Heat 2003 (PC)

3. Tony Larussa Baseball 2 (PC-DOS)

4. Triple Play Baseball 2002 (PC)

5. Oldtime Baseball (PC-DOS)

6. Tony Larussa Baseball 3 (PC-DOS)

7. Hardball 3 (PC-DOS)

8. All Star Baseball 2004 (Original X-Box)

9. Baseball Stars (Original Nintendo console)

10. Super Baseball Simulator 1000 (Super Nintendo)

Of course, I am not mentioning a lot of games. And I can not add MLB 08 The Show to this because I don't own it.

My personal Top Ten

1. Mvp Baseball 2005 (PC)

2. High Heat 2003 (PC)

3. Tony Larussa Baseball 2 (PC-DOS)

4. Triple Play Baseball 2002 (PC)

5. Oldtime Baseball (PC-DOS)

6. Tony Larussa Baseball 3 (PC-DOS)

7. Hardball 3 (PC-DOS)

8. All Star Baseball 2004 (Original X-Box)

9. Baseball Stars (Original Nintendo console)

10. Super Baseball Simulator 1000 (Super Nintendo)

Of course, I am not mentioning a lot of games. And I can not add MLB 08 The Show to this because I don't own it.

I have owned all of those games and loved every one of em. Pretty cool man!

Triple Play was so awesome, especially the homerun derbys inside the living room

I LOVE that part of the game. I'd play that for hours just bouncing balls off that stereo and listening to glass shatter. Now I want to re-install it. :)

excellent review, took the words out of my mouth, as im sure many others, no console nor any other baseball today or past will ever match what you guys have done, gr8 work, and just the way it is, the industry of video games baseball is yours (modders), and developer's should be ashamed, to callt hem self creators, licease issues or not, when a person creates something it is said it comes from the heart, no matter how long it took to get there, and i for 1 will never fall for the console, illusion, i will teach my kids how to play mvp baseball 05, and show them the diffrence between true invention and buiness invention. again ty all modders.

In the next few days I am going to get the CD and install it and I'll find out for sure.

If you never had the chance to play the older DOS games I mentioned, you missed something. Oldtime baseball reminds me a bit of Total Classics. They had every team and every player from the 1800's to I believe the late 80's and early 90's. EVERY TEAM, EVERY PLAYER. I still got this, but I can't play it on XP. Some of the music from Oldtime baseball was used in Total Classics.

I'll have to look for TLR baseball, how is that?

Fantastic...but again it is a DOS game. I got Larussa 2 and 3. I liked Tony2 a lot better. It was there I made my one and only roster set. You know how they are making the best players from each team over at Mvp Classics? I did that for Tony Larussa Baseball 2, but I made a sixteen team league like it used to be and a 154 game schedule. And before you ask, the Yankees did not win all the time. The Tigers were tough, and the Athletics too. It was a fight season in and season out. And in the National League, Brooklyn, the NY Giants and Cubs were the top teams. I miss that game very much. :(

y4l, i came to the pc age, late as far as gaming, i never knew how much it could be, back then, i was on oddessy, atari, coleco, to present, and as i said above man, i feel almost cheated, because i didnt know about pc gaming in general, now that i do, i cant go back, i wont, its night and day. i only wish i had a store that had alot of old classics, for the pc, that i had missed, i feel i got some catching up to do, 1 of the all time best first person shooters ever, Far Cry, when my cousin first told me about it, i said to him... what happen some guy got his heart broke, buy some female and now he's in a distance far crying lol, he said man you need to just play it on the pc, i told him then yrs ago, man i aint playing no game on no pc, when i got the best of the best in the consoles, he said then, ok, dont say i didnt try to tell you, and to this day, he was right!, consoles are overrated, and it's sad to see in today's market, you get half of a game, for full price, or a game full of glitches, where you will have to wait 3 to 4 months or longer to get an update for, for once again full price!, its just sad, and i cant do it anymore, pc all the day for me now.

the editor is hearing from me about this article. i'm making my arguments for being #1. in fact, we should get our own in depth article :)

I think MLB 08: The Show is a fantastic game and overall is the best baseball game to own. I know it's new, but I do believe it rightfully owns a spot on the top 10 list.

I give that dude such respect for writing that about this game. I know many can agree that while 2k does kick Ea's *** in every other sports game, they coudlnt dare touch Ea in baseball. I rue the day that I will not be able to update my MVP 05 and hope we always have you guys here to make things current. Thanks for all you do. If only developers who get paid to do what you guys do, actually made themselves worth their checks.

Screw exclusive contracts. Bring Back MVP and NFL 2k.

Btw if you do a search of best baseball game ever, you will get links to articles and forums. Several forums I have read have many users with MVP 04 or 05 in their top 5. I barely see a 2k pop up. Ha. And their are a few votes for the show.

I give that dude such respect for writing that about this game. I know many can agree that while 2k does kick Ea's **** in every other sports game, they coudlnt dare touch Ea in baseball. I rue the day that I will not be able to update my MVP 05 and hope we always have you guys here to make things current. Thanks for all you do. If only developers who get paid to do what you guys do, actually made themselves worth their checks.

Screw exclusive contracts. Bring Back MVP and NFL 2k.

Sorry but 2K dont have EA beat when it comes to hockey. NHL 08 for the 360 is the best hockey game I have ever played.

Archived