Error message installing MVPedit 2006

Cavicchi

The error message I get in Vista 64-bit is Component mscomctl.ocx or one of its dependents not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

I just did a fresh install of Vista and don't have any idea what's wrong.

Help!

A user over at eamods runs 64-bit Vista and runs the game using the following:

Have you tried to run the .exe file in Windows XP (Service Pack 2) compatibility mode? Right click on the executable, select Properties, select Compatibility tab, select Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Run the .exe file. This works for me. I am running Windows Vista 64-bit.

Try this with the 2 apps you're having trouble with. If that doesn't work, send a PM to the author(s) of the programs.

A user over at eamods runs 64-bit Vista and runs the game using the following:

Try this with the 2 apps you're having trouble with. If that doesn't work, send a PM to the author(s) of the programs.

I don't have any idea what he did because when I right click on it there is no option for XP at all, not even Compatibility. MVPedit didn't do a complete install because of that missing file, so no exe there. MVP 2005 Editor has an exe but right-clicking does not bring up Compatibility. Maybe it's different in Vista 64-bit Ultimate.

I managed to run it in Compatibility mode for XP but still get that message about mscomctl.ocx. I am totally lost here and tried placing that .ocx file in system32 but still get the error message, and still get the other error message with MVP 2005 Editor.

If someone has a solution I would be most grateful.

I was not able to install MVPedit in 64-bit Vista Ultimate, but I was able to install it in 32-bit Vista Ultimate.

Two files had to be installed and registered, and I post this so others will know (install only the files you need). You can do an Internet search to find the missing files and download, and then install and register.

MSCOMCTL.OCX

comdlg32.ocx

Start > Run > Type these commands for required file to register:

regsvr32 %Systemroot%System32comdlg32.ocx

REGSVR32 MSCOMCTL.OCX

I don't know what specfically you want me to check in that thread. If you are referring to the download, I can tell you downloading the missing file will not register in 64-bit Ultimate. The missing files have to be registered in Vista, and they cannot be registered in 64-bit Vista Ultimate--I know because I tried and Microsoft tech suppport tried for two hours!

Also, that FAQ thing speaks as if MVPedit is installed but will not open, I am speaking about MVPedit not installing.

Well, I finally got MVP 2005 Editor to work, despite the fact Microsoft said it couldn't be done. I downloaded and installed TiT and the required file for it and WHAMMO! Yup, wasted hours on the phone with Microsoft.

Useless is putting it mildly. Yesterday, when their tech support was trying to help me get MVPedit installed, he took over my computer and wasn't able to solve the problem, but he did screw up my computer forcing me to format and reinstall Vista. Today, I called for MVP 2005 Editor and was watching him very carefully as he controlled my desktop, and while he didn't screw-up my computer, he didn't solve the problem either.

Funny thing is, I ended up solving both issues myself. Someone should document these issues with Vista 64-bit and MVPedit and MVP 2005 Editor in the FAQ nasty thing. Perhaps this is only an issue with Vista 64-bit Ultimate, don't know, but it would save others a lot of time and headache if these solutions were posted in that FAQ sticky.

Archived