Old Orchard Beach

DJEagles

My wife, kids and my in-laws have decided on going to Old Orchard Beach in Maine from the 16th until the 23rd of August. I have never been there before, so I am pretty excited. Doing some research, I have found that is only 1h51 minutes from Boston, and there is an afternoon Red Sox Vs. Jays game on the 17th.

I have my wife convinced that I MUST attend said game, as I have never seen a Jays game live, and next to Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park would be a great place to take in my first American League game.

The question I have is this, the game is sold out, I have found tickets on StubHub. Has anyone used this site, if so, how was your experience.

Also, spending the day in Boston, what all is there to see? My wife and in-laws would be skipping the game, and doing some sight-seeing.

DJ

Being from Manchester, NH (about 45 minutes north), I'll tell you know that you might want to tack an extra 30 minutes on that drive on a game day. Traffic can be hell, especially near the park.

Sox tickets are usually sold out before the season has even started, let alone a couple months ahead of time.

I've never personally used StubHub, but I suppose it could be if you can find the right deal. Sometimes, they charge extra. I would first try to go to the redsox site on mlb.com to see if you can find seats.

How many seats are you looking for? You might be able to find or two (together)

Fenway Park also tends to be expensive, including the tickets. That's one reason why I travel to see the Sox or other baseball teams (I'm actually a Cards fan, but my friends obviously are Sox fans)

In fact, last year I travelled all the way to Toronto to see the Jays/White Sox, to Baltimore to see Red Sox/O's, to Pittsburgh to see Pirates/Astros and flew to St. Louis to see Cards/Astros (twice)

As for sites to see while in Boston, it's been awhile since I've been down there, but go to www.boston.com and you should find some events to do.

To answer your question, I have used stubhub on a few occasions...

2 or 3 mets games- which tickets were delivered promptly 2 days after I ordered them.

Just recently I bought 2 tickets (it was exactly a week ago) for my dad to see Billy Joel at Shea Stadium, within a few hours of purchasing said tickets I was provided with a fed ex tracking number, and received my tickets exactly 2 days later at 4:25 pm (estimated delivery time was 4:30)

So yes, I would say go with Stubhub, plus they have a fan protect policy so if you do have a rare run in on there, Stubhub has your back.

Nice.

I am frigging excited. They have tickets to the game, with $56.00 being the cheapest. I was originally just going to drive to Portland, Maine to watch the Sea Dogs, but or the sake of 2 hours, I am looking forward to driving into Boston.

Living in New Brunswick, Canada, I only live approx. 6 hours away from Boston, but I have never bothered to make the trip until this summer. Old Orchard looks beautiful, the cabins are reasonably priced, and the family wants to go, so it works out for me!

You've never caught an American League game live? You've caught a National League live I presume? Have a good time, Fenway was amazing when I went. I didn't even mind the standing room seats we had because the experience was completely worth it.

I love Fenway, thats where I saw my first major league game.

What an experience, Sox were playing the Royals, Manram goes yard twice, and fouls a ball back that almost hit me in the noggin, good thing the drunk guy next to me shielded the ball with his hands, bounced it off the seat in front of me and then back into his lap, that was crazy. My neighbor at the time was a huge red sox fan even said he saw me on NESN after it happened, would love to see tape of that, haha. Then the game went into like the 11th and the game lasted about 4 and a half hours. Imagine if every game I went to was like that? Haha.

yeah right field in the blue really sucks. It's all obstructed. bleachers belive it or not are actually pretty good I sit there 4-5 times a year. Also you would be suprised how good of condition it's in for about 100 years. yankee stadium is like in the 70's and it's an absolute dump

yeah right field in the blue really sucks. It's all obstructed. bleachers belive it or not are actually pretty good I sit there 4-5 times a year. Also you would be suprised how good of condition it's in for about 100 years. yankee stadium is like in the 70's and it's an absolute dump

Dump...? Maybe you have a better choice of words. This coming from a Mets fan too.

Actually, when I went to Yankee stadium two years ago to see SOx-Yanks, I thought it was in better shape than Fenway. Personally, I think Fenway is a dump (moat concourse areas and the most seats are horrible). Although they've (the new owners) have improve it some. Also a better night life that is close by

If I had to rank stadiums that I've been to: Both of these would near bottom, especially Fenway, only Olympic Stadium and Veterens would be below them. Can't wait, I finally get to see Phil's Citizens this year

I enjoyed Rogers Centre (actually the whole city), BUsch Stadium (both of them were nice), Wrigley (that was years ago though), Camden Yards, Jacobs (Cle) and Pitt. Man, I've been to so many more, but these were my faves.

However, everyone has to go to Fenway atleast once in their lifetime, depsite the condition and prices. It's still worth it for the experience alone.

Actually Yankee and Fenway are in my top 5, probably top 3 even, and I've been to about 20 so far. The atmosphere is what wins me over in both parks, it's not necessarily how the stadium looks, but how it feels that changes the perception.

I have seen the Astros Vs. the Expos in Montreal at Olympic Stadium, back in 1998. Bagwell hit a three run bomb.....The Stadium was a dump though.

I am looking at purchasing two tix in the bleacher section...looking at Bleacher 37. They want $73.00 a ticket, which for me, is worth it.

I used StubHub for some Cards tickets this year. It's irritating and overpriced (b/c of the "fees" that StubHub will add), but if you want tickets to a sold-out game it's pretty much that or take your chances outside the stadium.

It's definately reputable, and I had no problems with the transaction at all.

yankee stadium is like in the 70's and it's an absolute dump

It's a dump in the same way that the pyramids in Egypt are a crumbling pile of rocks. I know I'm a biased Yankees fan, but how can you visit Yankee Stadium and not be awed by all the history that took place there.

I've been there at least once a year the last 9 years and every time I walk out and the field comes into view, I can't help but think that I'm looking at the same field where all-time greats like Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Mantle played.

It's the same as when I visit Fenway and I look around and envision Ted Williams or Carl Yastrzemski playing or look at the right field foul pole and think about Carlton Fisk willing his ball to stay fair in the 1975 World Series.

The history of the game is one of the reasons I'd love to see a game at Wrigley Field at least once in my life.

Too bad there's nothing going on at The Ballpark in Old Orchard Beach... since the Maine Guides (Phillies AAA) left in the 80s, it has been left to crumble. There was a fire there within the last year that destroyed even more of it. Still, the citizens of OOB just voted down giving the town the permission to sell it. To get to Boston, you might want to think about travelling via The Downeaster train. I haven't taken it, but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Bleacher 37 is really good if your in the first 15 rows. I went to yankee stadium last year and everything looked just faded maybe they aren't taking care of it because their moving next year. Jim the pyrimids are in very good condition for 3000 years old just an fyi

Actually Yankee and Fenway are in my top 5, probably top 3 even, and I've been to about 20 so far. The atmosphere is what wins me over in both parks, it's not necessarily how the stadium looks, but how it feels that changes the perception.

Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere and historical significance is amzaing.

Definitely in my top 5 (with Wrigley and Busch mixed in there).

But, as far, as stadium itself goes, Fenway is a dump, especially when the weather is crap (some areas of the concourse gets flooded, and the rooftop seats). Plus, the tickets are way overpriced for seats, especially the ones that are obstructed and pointed to CF.

However, like I said, you have to see Fenway atleast once in your lifetime just for the history and atmosphere, especially now that there are good,

I've actually have a picture somewhere with me standing in front of the Green Monster (when I went to Dave Matthews Concert back a couple yrs. back). Hmmm, I gotta find that.

Now, back on topic, DJ, you will have a great time there. Hopefully, the Jays are still in race at that point.

Bleacher 37 is really good if your in the first 15 rows. I went to yankee stadium last year and everything looked just faded maybe they aren't taking care of it because their moving next year. Jim the pyrimids are in very good condition for 3000 years old just an fyi

I was making an analogy. I never said that the pyramids were simply a pile of rocks. Also, just because things seemed faded to you (although they looked fine to me), it doesn't necessarily make Yankee Stadium a dump. I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find things around Fenway (or any stadium for that matter) to call it a dump.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.... :shrug:

Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere and historical significance is amzaing.

Definitely in my top 5 (with Wrigley and Busch mixed in there).

But, as far, as stadium itself goes, Fenway is a dump, especially when the weather is crap (some areas of the concourse gets flooded, and the rooftop seats). Plus, the tickets are way overpriced for seats, especially the ones that are obstructed and pointed to CF.

However, like I said, you have to see Fenway atleast once in your lifetime just for the history and atmosphere, especially now that there are good,

I've actually have a picture somewhere with me standing in front of the Green Monster (when I went to Dave Matthews Concert back a couple yrs. back). Hmmm, I gotta find that.

Now, back on topic, DJ, you will have a great time there. Hopefully, the Jays are still in race at that point.

Didn't realize they were in the race now.... :D

Archived