New City, Career Renewed - Oakland A's Year 3

rookie_rick

We're pathetic rick.  Let's go get a beer..

B)

Deal! :drinks:

How about you take over the job at my Red Sox and i take control of your A's :shok:

I am going to indulge in some Show 09. My RTTS will make me feel slightly better. Not by much though -_-

Justin Masterson will make one start on his return from injury and then he will become the Red Sox set up man.

Boston will have to make room in the bullpen for Masterson and may lead to the release of one of the less successful relievers.

That's great man. What team you going to choose?

Don't know yet, man.

I started playing this game a couple of months ago, so I still don't know every player. So I keep playing with the Red Sox. I know all of 'em :D

But I might choose other team and try the fantasy draft, maybe pick some superstars and the rest will be "normal" guys.

Don't know yet, man.

I started playing this game a couple of months ago, so I still don't know every player. So I keep playing with the Red Sox. I know all of 'em :D

But I might choose other team and try the fantasy draft, maybe pick some superstars and the rest will be "normal" guys.

Sounds great. I can't wait for you to get started with it.

Hey Rick, I want to thank you, just like this guy above me, I started a dynasty cuz of u please check it out.

;)

You are doing a 2006 Red Sox Dynasty, ain't you?

You are doing a good job of it so far :)

Stars hit the trading block

Boston place Craig Hansen, Wes Littleton and Manny Delcarmen on the trading block, making it clear that there time in Boston may be up.

All three relievers have struggled hugely this season. Hansen and Delcarmen also struggled last season for Boston. Littleton was signed as a free agent in the off-season from Texas.

Despite making these players available, Boston will not accept any mediocre offers for any of the 3 stars.

Uh oh, shakin' it down.   B)  Hopefully some of these moves will pan out for you.  A weak bullpen can be very frustrating.

I hate my bullpen. Valverde was a let down last season after acquiring him from the Astros and been just as disappointing so far. I got rid of Okajima last season and that didn't pay off. I signed Huston Street and Wes Littleton as free agents and they have performed slightly better. Street has been pretty good.

I am 5.5 games back and down in fourth with the Orioles .5 game behind me. If the Braves sweep me, i am going to be looking toward next season and unload some salary because my payroll is well controlled currently but next season i can see the limit being reduced and so i am going to look towards prospects and the future.

I hear you, it's definitely frustrating.  Like you, I'm 5.5 back, next to last place in the A.L. West.  But since I only play one season at a time (instead of consecutively), I'm going to keep on pushing with what I have and finish my season the best that I can.  

I will say this, I've been down further than this before (10 games at All Star Break with Cubs in 2007), but the downside is I'm more than likely going to lose Holliday, and this A's team just simply doesn't have the talent to overpower anyone in the league.

This may be the worst A's team I've ever played my seasons with, but at least it will be a challenge.  Either way, I hope you follow this one to the end, it'll be interesting to see where you wind up.

I hear you, it's definitely frustrating.  Like you, I'm 5.5 back, next to last place in the A.L. West.  But since I only play one season at a time (instead of consecutively), I'm going to keep on pushing with what I have and finish my season the best that I can.  

I will say this, I've been down further than this before (10 games at All Star Break with Cubs in 2007), but the downside is I'm more than likely going to lose Holliday, and this A's team just simply doesn't have the talent to overpower anyone in the league.

This may be the worst A's team I've ever played my seasons with, but at least it will be a challenge.  Either way, I hope you follow this one to the end, it'll be interesting to see where you wind up.

When you was 10 games back with the Cubs, your team was improved with Monroe and that was just enough to get you into the playoffs. The only way i can improve my team is to give up prospects, something i am very unwilling to do. I also have my hands tied with the team i have. I have Ramirez, Teixeira, Ortiz, Youkilis and Drew all who are too expensive to just sit on the bench and so it limits the areas i can try to improve. I took a risk with Keppinger at shortstop and that may have been a mistake.

Without trading some of the veteran guys, the only position i can acquire someone for without having much of an issue with benching a player is center field. It wouldn't be a big deal if Ellsbury sat for the rest of the season or visited AAA.

I also having an issue arising with Lars Anderson and Mark Wagner being ready for the ML team by next season. That means that Teixeira or Ortiz must go to allow Anderson to come through and i have Salty as my long term catcher, i could platoon Wagner and Salty next season or give Wagner one more season in AAA.

When i first decided that i would continue with the Red Sox for multiple seasons, i was really happy that i have so many quality prospects but now it is driving me crazy.

Daniel Bard is still stuck struggling in single A, that is my only decent prospect that is having a poor start to their career.

The way that you and I play are classic examples of what it's like to play a season at either end of the spectrum.  I play one compact season with accurate rosters (pretty close) and basically am "controlled" by what happens in the Majors, you, on the other hand, and like a lot of other people, have made a decision to have that control not only for the current season, but since you've decided to play multiple seasons consecutively, you're forced to do what's best for your team in the future, which involves making decisions now.  

I've always stopped short of doing this because I didn't want to close the door on the possibility that I may want to play with someone else the next year, or just the simple fact that a new and better baseball game may come out and I wouldn't be able to accumulate stats over a period of time anyway.  

I can honestly tell you that I have never played this way at least since baseball video games have aquired the real MLB and/or Player's license.  

I don't feel confined by playing the game the way I do, as a matter of fact I prefer it, but I can feel a "fantasy" season coming on, I'm just getting the itch to do something totally different.

I made the decision to play this way because I don't trust Theo as a GM and so I couldn't cope with using the real life rosters :rolleyes:

I also wanted to have the ability to bring a bunch of prospects through the system because baseball is a sport where young players are brought through a minor league system and you need to play multiple seasons to allow the young players to progress.

All the sports games I have ever played, I have always stopped after a year. My aim when I first started planning this Dynasty was to finish 162 games then go on to make the most of the depth of the Dynasty mode.

I have always liked the managerial aspects of games and the only way to hav the ability to do that is to play several seasons at a minimum.

What type of fantasy season you interested in doing, a complete fantasy draft or just make the transaction yourself opposed to relying on real life moves?

What type of fantasy season you interested in doing, a complete fantasy draft or just make the transaction yourself opposed to relying on real life moves?

Not really sure yet, and since it would probably not be until next baseball season, I probably don't even know what game it would be played with.  

What I would give for Sony to put The Show '10 on PC, and have it be completely moddable..   :mellow:

Not really sure yet, and since it would probably not be until next baseball season, I probably don't even know what game it would be played with.  

What I would give for Sony to put The Show '10 on PC, and have it be completely moddable..   :mellow:

I think there is lots of us have that desire but they legally can't release it on PC. Assuming that SCEA don't miraculously acquire the license, it sadly won't happen.

I think that you will be using MVP for at least another season :)

Our records are almost identical, rick, too bad you're division is a much steeper hill to climb.  Man, it's a long season, anything can happen.

With Beckett on the mound, you should be able to notch one here.  Good luck.  B)

Our records are almost identical, rick, too bad you're division is a much steeper hill to climb.  Man, it's a long season, anything can happen.

With Beckett on the mound, you should be able to notch one here.  Good luck.  B)

Beckett has been okay for me this season. He fell short of being a 20 game winner last season but won't get close to that this year. He is in his final year of an expensive contract. I have many pitching prospects and so this could be the last season he will be wearing the Red Sox uniform.

Other than getting his pocket picked, it looked like Beckett came through.  Congrats, I can see it was a much needed win.  Always good to get them from the good teams in the league, too.

:drinks: