mrg1's Ultimate Progression and Rookie Mod - Official Thread

mrg1

Hi guys. Thought you would all enjoy this. I've finally finished testing this mod and extremely happy with the results.

The mod has just been submitted to mvpmods.com for approval.

The mod's readme is below:

mrg1's Ultimate Progression and Rookie Files

----------------------------------------------------

This zip file (mrg1progress.zip) contains 2 '.big' files for MVP baseball 2005. These files greatly improve the manner in which players progress in your dynasty.

To install the mod, simply extract rookie.big and progress.big to your game's "database" folder.

This mod is heavily based on ronmexico's progression and rookie file mod, but with the following improvements:

-Decreased the overall level of talent in the league after the progression of several seasons. Less players will reach 100 in their contact and power ratings, creating more variation among the league's elite players. The overall talent level of the league is still much higher than that provided in EASports' original progress.big file.

-There was an error in ronmexico's rookie file that sometimes caused players of some positions (specifically C,3b,Lf,rf) in any one particular draft class to have single digit power ratings. This has been fixed.

-Players progress in a less predictable and linear fashion.

-More players retire in the early parts of their career. This should decrease the amount of all-stars who hang around in the league into their 40s and then retire in the minors.

-many more minor tweaks to the rookie classes and player progression

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This mod is compatible with both the original MVP baseball 2005 game, as well as the 06, 07, and 08 mods that have since been released.

Big thanks to ronmexico for giving permission to use his mod files as a template, to MVPMods for maintaining my interest in this game year's after its release, and to EASports for making a game so easily editable and power-user-friendly.

I have put a considerable amount of work into this mod. I am not asking for monetary donations but I do greatly appreciate any and all feedback on my work. You can PM me on mvpmods.com.

-Mark (mrg1)

Thanks. I just want to ask a queston.

Im already about 35 games into my 1st season. If i put this mod into the game, will it screw up my dynasty, like make it freeze?

I also have a question does this progression mod fix the pitcher's pitch speeds progressions? You know so everyone won't throw over a 100 after a couple of seasons.

I basically have the same question, the main difference being not over 100 but at 100 mph. While you address batter's contact and power of 100, how about fastball speed of pitchers?

It should. There will be a smaller number of pitchers with overall fastball ratings reaching the high 90s, so the velocity aspect of the fastball rating should be, on average, lower as well. However in my trials it is difficult to fully test this as you can't see a players velocity rating without actually going in and editing the specific player.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if it's because of your mod, but Ryan Howard retired for personal reasons and prospect Andy LaRoche retired for personal reasons--this is after season 2008. While some pitchers over 40 retired, Smoltz and Wakefield did not.

I will likely restore the original progression and see if I get the same results. I just can't see how Ryan Howard and Andy LaRoche would retire.

I installed Ron Mexico's progression mod and could not get any unusual retirements after repeating the process a few times. I then went back to your mod and repeated the process around 10 times or so and could not get Ryan Howard or Andy LaRoche to retire again, but I did get J. D. Drew and Miguel Tejada to retire--and they are both under 35. Is there any reason that might explain why with your mod some valuable players under 35 would retire, or is this just a case of flukes happening?

I installed your mod again and this time Carlos Guillen retired at age 33! I think your mod may be too aggressive with retirements.

• 4 months later...

Well after months away from the MVP community, I've come out of hiding. :)

Thought I'd let you know that I have a NEW progress/rookie package coming. I've done over 30 seasons of testing with it, and I can confidently say it is perfect to my tastes.

SOME of the improvements over my previous version include:

-less early retirements, more 40-ish retirements, my previous edition overcompensated for what I felt was an initial lack of early retirements

-decrease progressed power and contact numbers

-slightly decrease initial contact and power ratings for rookies

Here are some of the issues my previous version addressed:

-Decreased the overall level of talent in the league after the progression of several seasons. Less players will reach 100 in their contact and power ratings, creating more variation among the league's elite players. The overall talent level of the league is still much higher than that provided in EASports' original progress.big file.

-There was an error in ronmexico's rookie file that sometimes caused players of some positions (specifically C,3b,Lf,rf) in any one particular draft class to have single digit power ratings. This has been fixed.

-Players progress in a less predictable and linear fashion.

-More players retire in the early parts of their career. This should decrease the amount of all-stars who hang around in the league into their 40s and then retire in the minors.

-many more minor tweaks to the rookie classes and player progression

Updates to follow soon.

Edit: forgot to mention, my previous file package was used RonMexico's mod as a base. RonMexico's mod made tremendous improvements over the original files provided by EA, I just took RonMexico's files and made them better. :)

who are the one or two guys? i can think of at least 3 or 4 off the top of my head that have hit 100 in the last three years.

Zumaya in DET, of course.

St. Louis has two: Chris Perez who is around 95-96, and Jason Motte who has touched 100 on a few occasions (including a game I was at).

and in seattle alone, i've seen putz light 100 several times. morrow is pretty consistently aroung 95-97, sometimes touching the triple digits. mark lowe was consistently hitting 99-100 for awhile too. i just gotta assume there's been more.

I should have been more clear. When I say "less," I mean less than in previous progression mods that have been on this site, including my own.

The distribution of pitcher ratings, including velocity, should remain pretty stable over the course of a dynasty. In previous mods, once you got a few years into your dynasty the overall talent level was much higher than when you started. There were pitchers hitting 100 all over the place.

• 2 weeks later...

any update on the progress of v2 of this mod.

sounds like you have tweaked it perfectly and ill be holding out before starting a career :)

GL and thanks for the hard work

Archived