Free agent signing compensation ...

CircleChange11

Is it possible to create a mod that would mimic the compensation that a team receives when one of their players is lost in free agency (i.e., Carlos Gomez to the Twins when the Mets signed Santana)?

I supose this could be done manually (if one wanted), but I was wondering if there was a way that it could be programmed into the game or as an add-on.

At the very least it is worth asking.

It just seems to be such a big part of baseball for smallish market teams that develop young talent into stars and lose them to major market teams. In the game, the team that loses the star gets nothing but an empty roster slot.

It also, in a way, provides a penalty for teams that spend big rather than develop their own talent

It would certainly help the competitive balance in the game.

If nothing can be created this is something that I will do manually, using my own judgement.

I know what you are talking about, however i need to correct your example. Gomez was actually part of a trade package the Twins received for Santana. The Mets did not sign him as a free agent. They did have to sign him to a new contract because Santana had the power to reject the trade, and had stated that he would not accept the trade without negotiating a new contract. Typically when teams receive compensation for players that leave via free agency it is strictly in the form of draft picks.

I know what you are talking about, however i need to correct your example. Gomez was actually part of a trade package the Twins received for Santana. The Mets did not sign him as a free agent. They did have to sign him to a new contract because Santana had the power to reject the trade, and had stated that he would not accept the trade without negotiating a new contract. Typically when teams receive compensation for players that leave via free agency it is strictly in the form of draft picks.

Thanks for the correction.

I guess draft picks aren't that much of a concession, since there's ~50 rounds. Not only that but the teams aren;t free to just draft the best available talent, but the best available talent that they can realistically afford to sign. Players that demand a high signing bonus, essentially dictate which teams will draft them. Seems like some teams ignore the designated "draft slots". Screwy, I know.

As for MVP (the game), I'll wait until it's draft time in my dynasty to see who signs where and try to figure out a fair way of moving some drafted players around to other teams.

Then, it becomes sort of a decision in whether to carry out the dynasty long enough to see if that movement pays off for any of the teams. Might be more work than it's worth.

Thanks for the correction.

I guess draft picks aren't that much of a concession, since there's ~50 rounds. Not only that but the teams aren;t free to just draft the best available talent, but the best available talent that they can realistically afford to sign. Players that demand a high signing bonus, essentially dictate which teams will draft them. Seems like some teams ignore the designated "draft slots". Screwy, I know.

As for MVP (the game), I'll wait until it's draft time in my dynasty to see who signs where and try to figure out a fair way of moving some drafted players around to other teams.

Then, it becomes sort of a decision in whether to carry out the dynasty long enough to see if that movement pays off for any of the teams. Might be more work than it's worth.

I think it is more work than it's worth. The drafting system in the game is pretty flawed, and really doesn't represent the process in real life. When I play a dynasty, I'll edit my drafted player to what I think would be a realistic first round pick in terms of potential, available skills, age, etc. That way you atleast get the feeling that you drafted someone noteworthy.

Archived