NBA 2K9 coming out on PC; MLB 2K9 possibly next?

GEOLINK

So the rumors are true, 2K has announced that NBA 2K9 will be headed to PC on October 20th, 2008 and it will be a XBOX 360 port so that means the graphics and everything will be the same as the XBOX 360 version and only for $19.99 retail price.

This is big news for Basketball game modders with the departure of the NBA Live series on the PC.

I can imagine now the MLB 2K series headed to the PC also! OMG the possibilities :D

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get too sure, I'm pretty sure NBA 2K's stuff is encrypted. At least it was in NBA 2K7 (which I ripped onto my Xbox hard-drive to see if there were any files worth opening). Then again, they may not encrypt it for PC.

But good point, if they're porting 2K9 asa next-gen onto PC, then MLB could be on the way.

Don't get too sure, I'm pretty sure NBA 2K's stuff is encrypted. At least it was in NBA 2K7 (which I ripped onto my Xbox hard-drive to see if there were any files worth opening). Then again, they may not encrypt it for PC.

But good point, if they're porting 2K9 asa next-gen onto PC, then MLB could be on the way.

I never said I was sure, I was just imaginating the thoughts of it being.

Usually the exclusive contracts require that the files be encrypted. That's why for so many years there was a hard time cracking madden from when they got the contract up until 08.

I am interested in this because I started modding 10 years ago for NBA Live 98. I would love to see what can be done.

Everything in the MVP community is based off of what was developed by the NBA Live community. That's 10 years of development on EAGraph and etc.

So, we do know that other 2K games can be modded, so I am hopeful that NBA 2K9 can be modded too and then down the road a MLB game if so.

It wouldn't be moddable, and even if it was, we all know how much that game sucks compared to MVP Baseball. Our only hope is that EA gets a new license and hopefully recycles their original MVP game engine so that it will stay moddable.

Usually the exclusive contracts require that the files be encrypted. That's why for so many years there was a hard time cracking madden from when they got the contract up until 08.

Didn't Brinkman say that if it did come to PC, that it would be like an every other year release because modders would be able to keep it fresh?

It wouldn't be moddable, and even if it was, we all know how much that game sucks compared to MVP Baseball. Our only hope is that EA gets a new license and hopefully recycles their original MVP game engine so that it will stay moddable.

How do you know it wouldn't be moddable?

you know, on the serious side...anyone know from experience why it is they would make a game unmoddable? i can see the pros and cons of either side, but what is their main justification?

I just take games like Resident Evil 4 that was a horrible port, there are a couple of mods done to the game.

sorry if it is off-topic but it just got to me.

you know, on the serious side...anyone know from experience why it is they would make a game unmoddable? i can see the pros and cons of either side, but what is their main justification?

Protection of creative content. That would be the only thing I can think of.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived