Gateway CPU

MilkmanAnt

looks ok but

"NVIDIA® GeForce® 7100 Integrated Graphics with up to 256MB of Shared Video Memory"

that looks shady. Integrated usually means crappy video card.

You should try tigerdirect.com or newegg.com. All you need is the barebones combo. Or if you have a friend that can build it for you.

The thing I hate about dells or gateway or whtever is they sometimes make it a pain to upgrade.

Thanks for your opinions rolie.

So everything else is good to go? And is it really crappy, unplayable? Or just not as good as yours? All I want is neat graphics. How bout the system requirements on the MVP box? The AGP video card section. Will it even work?

It seems all the cpu's have intergrated video cards. Here's another one.

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668196.php

Appreciate any help.

Oh yeah it'll work. I dunno how good though. That video card seems like the only obvious weakness. Gateway make profits by kinda cut down the quality of certain parts.

What exactly is you spending range? And what are primarily using this for? Is this you r main computer or is just for gaming?

Main and gaming. Did you see the second link's video card? "ATI® Radeon™ HD 3200 Integrated Graphics with up to 256MB of Shared Video Memory" I'm sure that's better, but isn't 8GB of memory a bit too much speed?

And I guess my range would be from 500-700/800 dollars.

Yeah 2gb of ram or higher is ok.

The main thing is the cpu and video card. Everything else doen't really matter as much. That quad phenom 9500 is kinda buggy. That's why it's so cheap. Your paying for second rate stuff and just paying for the "gateway" name.

I recommenced getting more bang for your buck. You can probably get a decent dual core or quad core with way a better video card. I'm searching at tiger direct for you. Their stuff is more up to date.

Milkman, you should just custom make your own PC.. for $500 you can get such a great system, man.. like just basic figures here..

AMD socket AM2+ motherbaord - $40 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813185113

AMD dual core CPU - $40 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103215

2 GB of 800 mhZ DDR2 - $30 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820161229

Geforce 9600GSO video card 384MB ddr3 - $80 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814141076

( i have the same exact card and the thing is a bull. it runs Crysis on high @ 1400x1050 @ steady 30FPS )

So, the core of the machine right there would be about.. $200 and it would be an excellent machine. You'd wanna get a power supply and maybe a new case.. up to you, but i mean, if you spent $500 just imagine what you could get, you could get a better CPU than above for sure..

Hey thanks rolie, I appreciate all your help...

I guess I'll look too. Please link any recommendations you have. Also I hope this cpu works well with your stadiums and overall. My other ones haven't.

No...

A CPU is a Central Processing Unit and is AKA a Processor.

A Whole PC is all the parts that make up the PC. For instance, the motherboard (basically the logic board, it connects all the parts of the PC), and on the motherboard you'd have a CPU (talked about earlier; this is the "speed" of your computer [but there is other factors that have to do w/ speed]), Memory (RAM), Video Card, Sound Card (usually free w/ the motherboard), CD/DVD Drive, Hard Drive, Monitor.

In short, a CPU is a tiny but important part that makes up a PC.

• 1 month later...

How do these specs fare with MVP?

PROCESSOR- Intel® Pentium® dual-core processor E2200 (1MB L2, 2.2GHz, 800 FS edit

OPERATING SYSTEM- Genuine Windows Vista® Business Bonus edit

OFFICE SOFTWARE- Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 edit

WARRANTY & SERVICE- 1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis edit

MONITOR No Monitor edit

MEMORY 3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs edit

HARD DRIVE 320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cacheâ„¢ edit

OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW Drive + Roxio Creator 10 Premier-Ultimate Burn/Authoring edit

VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB supporting HDMI edit

SOUND Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit

KEYBOARD & MOUSE Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse edit

FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive Included edit

MODEM No Modem Option edit

My Software & Accessories

The rest of the system, if anything, seems like overkill for MVP, but I've not heard great things about the 3450. It should be enough to run MVP (I would hope), but I wouldn't rely on it to be very future-proof - if at all.

Also, if you're getting 3GB for 4 DIMMs, you might be just as well going for the 4GB/4 DIMMs combo, rather than having 2 1GB DIMMs and 2 512MBs.

Do you really need Office? If you're not getting it for free, I'd save some cash and get rid of it. You can either get a copy of OpenOffice, which is freeware and, IMO, better than Office, or you can acquire Office from another source if you really want it.

Avoid 1 year warranties. They're useless. Again, unless you're getting it free, remove it - you have a 1 year manufacturer's warranty anyway, so if anything fails within the first year, you can get it replaced by Dell under your legal rights as a consumer. If you're getting a warranty, get an upgrade to 2 or 3 years. Buying a 1-year warranty is essentially the same as paying a company to do what they are legally forced to do anyway, whether you pay for it or not.

Finally, the Dell keyboards and mice are crap. Use your old ones unless you're demented and desperate for a Dell branded one, or pick one up from Wal-Mart or something.

I'm guessing that's either one of the Vostro desktops or an XPS?

K, so "overkill" means great or bad?

The video card seemed good to me, but I'm sure you know a whole bunch more than I do. Here is how it stacks up with some others Dell offers.

http://www.dell.com/content/learnmore/lear...pn&~tab=details

Your prefering me to get the 4GB memory? And I did get rid of the Office programs since I have CD's of it already. Warranty can't be none and I might as well use the Dell keyboard and mouse.

By the way MarkB, this is an Inspiron 530s.

Overkill means you don't need to spend top dollar to play this game-- the game came out in 2005. Computer speeds double every year. It's almost 2009!

You could walk into any retailer and pick up a computer off the shelf and MVP will look dynamite.

Just make sure the 3D card is not integrated, so you have enough power for newer games you might play.

Thanks. What about the "AGP" on the mvp box? I don't see AGP when video cards are mentioned.

And if I was to just buy a PC and no monitor, would it come with plugs for a current monitor? I would prefer a pc w/o a monitor since all pc's seem to come with widescreen. There has been a lot of questioning on playing MVP with widescreen so I'd rather avoid that. I already have a 17 inch Gateway monitor.

Thanks. What about the "AGP" on the mvp box? I don't see AGP when video cards are mentioned.

And if I was to just buy a PC and no monitor, would it come with plugs for a current monitor? I would prefer a pc w/o a monitor since all pc's seem to come with widescreen. There has been a lot of questioning on playing MVP with widescreen so I'd rather avoid that. I already have a 17 inch Gateway monitor.

I doubt a CPU-only purchase would come with monitor plugs.

However, you WILL be able to use the plug you currently use for your 17-inch Gateway monitor.

Don't worry about AGP-- it's an old technology that all new computers have standard now.

Archived