Anti-virus Program

Recently I got a new system and when I got it, I got a free 30 day trial edition of MacAfee anti virus. It is going to run out soon. I'd like people's opinions on what I should do here. Should I purchase an extension to the current antivirus program that I have (Macafee) or should I let this free trial run out and buy another anti-virus program?

Please, I am trying to avoid responses like "MacAfee sucks." If you think they suck, tell me why. Just don't leave it at that. One thing I will not do is buy Norton Antivirus by Symantec. That's out of the question. I've never seen one program slow down an entire system than that one. I'm not a fan of that one.

So, what would you do? Again, thank you all in advance. I really appreciate it a lot.

I recommend Nod32 antivirus, from ESET... it is very effective and doesn't slow down your computer, at least not noticeably to me. Kaspersky is probably slightly better, but it's more expensive and sort of 'clunky'. If you're looking for a free one, AVG is pretty good too. You might want to try it before buying a more expensive one.

Yeah I had macAfee back in the day and totally slowed me down, but that was years ago. I also had Norton and same thing. Then I tried AVG for a few years but it was weak and had a ton of false negatives and messed up multiplayer games. My experience with virus protection is that it will slow your cpu down if it's automatically started. I currently use Kasperky AV but I turned off the automatic startup and only use it when doing a monthly full system scan.

For weekly scans I run Malwarebytes and Super Anti Spyware. Those seems to catch most everything and are free.

Here's a list of tried a true programs that may help you. There are just so many programs out there to test out that it could be annoying figuring out what you need.

http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20

I recommend Nod32 antivirus, from ESET... it is very effective and doesn't slow down your computer, at least not noticeably to me. Kaspersky is probably slightly better, but it's more expensive and sort of 'clunky'.

What do you mean by "clunky"? And I found a seller on Amazon that is selling Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 (3 license edition) for $21.00.

Scroll down and you will see it listed for that price.

What do you mean by "clunky"? And I found a seller on Amazon that is selling Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 (3 license edition) for $21.00.

Scroll down and you will see it listed for that price.

wow, that is cheap. i wonder how they make a profit... And by clunky, i mean it is kind of slow, but not nearly as slow as norton. Also, as rolie said, Malwarebytes and Super anti spyware are both excellent

Yeah I had macAfee back in the day and totally slowed me down, but that was years ago. I also had Norton and same thing. Then I tried AVG for a few years but it was weak and had a ton of false negatives and messed up multiplayer games.

For weekly scans I run Malwarebytes and Super Anti Spyware. Those seems to catch most everything and are free.

I use an older version of AVG (which runs out of support in a week or two, so i need to move on), but am not a huge fan of it anymore (new versions are major resource hogs).

A lot of people like Avast, but after trying it, I was not a huge fan of it.

Bit Defender is another free program you can try. I have it downloaded, but never installed it (I may try it after I lose AVG 7.5 support)

Also, like Rolie, I use Malwarebytes, and I really like that.

Spybot search and destroy finds a lot of stuff other programs don't find, at least in my experience. I think it was originally more for spyware, but they find a lot of your trojan horses, and other viruses as well.

A lot of people like Avast, but after trying it, I was not a huge fan of it.

Also, like Rolie, I use Malwarebytes, and I really like that.

Spybot search and destroy finds a lot of stuff other programs don't find, at least in my experience. I think it was originally more for spyware, but they find a lot of your trojan horses, and other viruses as well.

I used Avast one time to take something off my computer that others couldn't remove. I then uninstalled the trial because I was happy with kasperky. I never gave Avast a proper run trough.

I used spybot for years, but I think they started charging for updates and moved on to the malwarebytes.

Y4L maybe you should try the trial version first, if available. I've been happy with kasperky but some other people hate it.

I should have explained further rolie. I did have Kaspersky installed on my other computer. It did its job and stayed out of my way, so I had some experience with it.

Basically I just wanted to know if it was worth keeping MacAfee. To be honest, I heard a lot of complaints about this from other people. I've been researching this all week.

I recommend Nod32 antivirus, from ESET... it is very effective and doesn't slow down your computer, at least not noticeably to me. Kaspersky is probably slightly better, but it's more expensive and sort of 'clunky'. If you're looking for a free one, AVG is pretty good too. You might want to try it before buying a more expensive one.

I used BitDefender for a few years but late last year, I got a virus on our PC that BitDefender missed. I researched a lot of AntiVirus solutions and decided to try ESET Nod32. I used the trial version for a short time and after about a week, I bought the full version (3 licenses actually for all our PC's at home).

I have been very happy with it and as catz says, it takes up a very small memory footprint and I've never noticed it slowing down the system. Scans are also fast and it automatically updates itself each day with the latest virus signatures. I highly recommend it.

I use Avira AntiVir. It starts w/ Windows and is memory resident.

http://www.free-av.com

Love it.

I also use "SpyBot: Search & Destroy" and "SUPERAntiSpyware." I usually leave SpyBot memory resident, but I only run SASW when I'm going to use it for a full scan (once every 2 weeks or so).

I use Avira AntiVir. It starts w/ Windows and is memory resident.

http://www.free-av.com

Love it.

Yes I totally agree with that one. I'm using it for years now and never expierenced any problems or slow downs. AND the most important point (at least for me) are the always great test-results. Check the tests right here:

http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2008/09_02

And btw you can forget about the note (4) because in it's newest version 9 AntiVir also includes ad- and spyware detection.

Give it a try. It's for free :D

Archived