Mlb 2k9 Bash Thread

Hitting also pissed me off about both next gen games. I felt like everything was predetermined. How the hell do I pull a ball that the game tells me I am late on. I look at the reply and the ball is almost past the plate, yet I pull it. The unrealistic hitting results really got me too.

I really thought 2K said they would fix that. For instance, swinging at a down and outside pitch too early and pulling it for a homer.

I agree with Kayxero. After trying really hard to like the game and after tinkering with the sliders, there were too many things that kept me from keeping it on my hard drive.

I had the same experience with the hitting. It felt too predetermined to me as well. In MVP I could swing and almost before there was contact I had a sense if I was early or late and I'd see it reflected in the hit. In 2K9 I'd swing at one pitch and hit a liner up the middle and on the next batter if I got the same pitch and I felt like I swung at the same time, sometimes I'd be out with an infield fly.

There were so many basic things with MVP that I realized I really miss with 2K9 such as:

1. The stat line that MVP modders created that has the pitcher's ERA, batter's average, speed of people on base, pitch count.

2. Fielding controls. I did like the pitching controls in 2k9, but the fielding controls I just couldn't get comfortable with. Pressing a button to select a runner, holding down a button to slide, and using the right stick to select the side of the bag you wanted to go to was just a little too cumbersome for me. MVP has it just right.

3. How in MVP using the trigger buttons brought up the opposing lineup and so much more. In 2K9 it just felt wrong not knowing who would be coming up without pausing the game and going through like three layers of menus just to see who was on deck. Annoying to say the least.

I could say more but on the whole, I'll be going back to MVP and playing with the 09 schedule until the 09 update is released. I did like the graphics of 2K9, but for me, MVP provides more of the complete package. If 2K9 comes back next year with a game that addresses a lot of the issues people have raised, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Until then I think I'll be just fine and I bet I'll come to appreciate more what the modders have done with MVP to make it so great.

Yeah these new games need to implement right stick total control fielding. Not the singular user dive animation like the show. I realized there are other dives but those are the preloaded animations, not user controlled ones. And 2k9 was no better.

With MVP I could push in any direction with my right stick and do the appropriate dive or jump of MY choosing.

Having complete user control = great gameplay.

1st off, apologies for posting in the 2k9 bash thread, but ...

My gripe will always be the unrealistic fielding. The meters do not feel like they do anything. That is why I dislike The Show as well. I can just tap the base buttons and the throw would be hard as ****. Why I cannot control how hard or soft I throw the ball is beyond me. I know errors are up to chance, but MVP had it down with making you decide how important an out was. Is it worth the possible error from overthrowing....or do you play it safe with a light toss.

I have my throw meter slider set at 95, and if you go "in the red", you better not be throwing from across the diamond, or it's gonna be air-mailed or in the dirt. Pujols has saved me quite a few errors on bad throws from 2nd turning double plays (ball thrown in dirt).

The next gen games just took the user control out of hitting an fielding and everything feels predetermined and I might as well watch a cpu vs cpu match because sometimes I felt as if my actions were arbitrary.

In 2k8, you had to have BOTH the right amount of throw power AND the right direction. For example, if you pushing the stick to "2 o'clock" instead of "3 o'clock" on a throw to first, there was a decent chance (depending on your slider setting) that the throw would pull the 1B off the bag to the RF side. Throwing out runners from the OF was particularly challenging (and rewarding), because you had to throw it hard and on the money using the stick. A LOT of people complained that it was too hard ... and the feature was removed in 2k9. Too bad. I really enjoyed the additional user influence. Turns out not too many people like user influence when fielding and would prefer auto fielding to having to make the play yourself.

I have often said that if companies made baseball games "realistic" they'd be too hard for most people, and whining would ensue. "realistic" hitting would be a nightmare, because it would be like playing with the pitch slider at 140 or so. You could celebrate every foul ball as a major accomplishment. Pitching, for most gamers, would be "unplayable" if they really did make it 'realistic'.

Okay, back to the bashing ....

I'm sure someone can form an argument that this game caused the recession, the conflict in Iraq, the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, the JFK assassination, World War I, World War II, the stock market crash of '29, and every other negative event that happened in the last 5 centuries.

Circle change, nothing you said changes the fact that tapping for soft throws doesn't work. All in all MVP i believe still and the best user control for fielding (as I could control all my dives and pressure throws to a T) and the most realistic hitting results based on how you swung and where the pitch was.

You cannot tell me that you never felt that the cpu predetermined your hits even though when you look at location and timing that some of the hits are impossible based on physics. I mean it is one of the biggest complaints for both next gen games.

Maybe I am just picky about realism. I dont like pulling low and away pitches for home runs when I was obviously late. These games seem like they just create close games and drama situations. The predetermined problem has been discussed in other forums.

Circle change, nothing you said changes the fact that tapping for soft throws doesn't work.

I wasn't offering an excuse or a defense of the game, only stating that with the throw meter difficulty slider cranked up, there are bad throws when you do not operate the meter correctly.

You cannot tell me that you never felt that the cpu predetermined your hits even though when you look at location and timing that some of the hits are impossible based on physics. I mean it is one of the biggest complaints for both next gen games.

I respect your opinion, but do not share the experience. I've played baseball video games starting with MicroLeague and Earl Weaver Baseball all the way through to 2k9 and The Show, I think 2k9 offers one of the best "timing based" experiences that I've had. When I try to pull outside pitches, the 3B/SS get an easy grounder, or it dribbles foul and/or behind the plate. I don't really get the "fake" hits, and I do see a lot of hit variety. When I turn pitch speed up to 90, the only way to pull a pitch effectively is to get something in, and swing early. Granted, when I watch a replay of something, sometimes the collision graphics are screwy, but during the actual event/play, most things feel as they should.

I will say that outside corner pitches do get driven harder than they should, by average hitters.

One of my early complaints was that sluggers could hit low and away changeups for 440 foot monster bombs ... but Darkspace's sliders seem to have taken care of that. I know it's not a popular stance to take by pointing out positives for 2k9, or to offer possible solutions/tips, or to refer to sliders that are effective, but ...

Maybe I am just picky about realism. I dont like pulling low and away pitches for home runs when I was obviously late. These games seem like they just create close games and drama situations. The predetermined problem has been discussed in other forums.

You need to invest in some good sliders. Even with Pujols, I am unable to pull low and away pitches for HRs, and he's probably the highest rated hitter on 2k9. But, I am also pretty good at using timing to drive those pitches to right-center. But, when I do pull them, even Pujols hits weak grounders to short ... or worse, double plays.

I am glad to see that you are really interested in realism. I find that most people are not, they really just want a game that they can "mash with" right out of the box, that isn't too hard to throw strikes, that you can select auto-fielding, etc.

I have no vested interest in 2k9. If it sucks, it's sucks. My name isn't on it. But, I have been experiencing some very good gameplay (for 50+ games), and am finding it very enjoyable, and a welcome alternative on PC.

Late tonight, after my son's baseball game, I will make a thread listing some of the thing sI have done to increase realism and enjoyment of gameplay. There are quite a few tips from difgferent websites that work for better fielding, fewer glicthes, more variety, etc. I will include images when appropriate, and hopefully provide some ideas to some folks that can lower their frustration.

After suffering through both MLB 2K8 and MLB 2K9 (which was, somehow, *worse*), I can safely proclaim that the best baseball game on Wii is......MVP Baseball 2005 for the GameCube. Like many developers, 2K somehow created games that actually look *worse* than 1st gen PS2 games.

And just in case the gameplay makes up for it...oops, sorry, it doesn't. Horrible, unresponsive controls and totally broken simulation. Mario Super Sluggers has better and more reliable controls.

And to add insult to injury, they outsourced the Wii version to China.

Yeah yeah, you can snipe at the Wii all you like, but truly, if you're a 360 owner, and you got a game whose appearance was an upsampled 1st gen XBox game (hey, it's still HD, ain't it?), you'd be mad, right? So no "Wii r teh sux0rz" comments, please.

So I was on my way over here to re-mod my PC edition of MVP 2005 and saw this thread on the front page, so I had to add my venom. B)

dV

All I am saying is that I shouldnt have to sit down countless hours trying to use sliders to make a very flawed game at the least, playable. With MVP I personally did not need any slider adjustments outside of turning foul balls and pitch speed up to 50 to increase difficulty. Thats only 2 adjustments to make the game harder, not to fix glitches and problems. And I did not once have to touch them for the Show.

It really says something when there are so MANY more people who need to utilize sliders and put so much time into testing sliders just to get a realistic game. It should not take that much effort and from these things its obvious that the 2k baseball team barely tested the game. Also, it would seem as if the game was not even made by baseball fans as the Show team are.

I am glad you enjoy the game, but this game is not worth the frustration. And I am positively sure that if MVP 05 was updated to next gen graphics, with the EXACT same gameplay, more people would buy it then both 2k9 and the Show. This is based on its gameplay alone, which has been said around many sport gaming circles to still be the best baseball gameplay and user control to date. Despite being killed presentation wise. But I do not enjoy baseball games for pretty stadiums and announcing, I play for great gameplay and total control.

Then again people have been wanting something new and pretty to look at. 2k gave that to them, albeit a bit rushed.

Enjoy your game though.

I have said, going all the way back to 2k7, that 2k baseball games are FAR too much work for the customers.

But, once you do get things set right, it plays rather well. I fuly understand that many will not be willing to put in such efforts and I strongly feel they shouldn;t have to.

I am in complete agrement with you on this.

With 2K games, it's almost better to buy the game after it has been out 4-6 weeks. By then, people have figured out decent sliders, and numerous workarounds to programming issues. It saves you from having to restart your franchise a bunch of times.

Way too much much work for the customer.

My gripe will always be the unrealistic fielding. The meters do not feel like they do anything. That is why I dislike The Show as well. I can just tap the base buttons and the throw would be hard as ****. Why I cannot control how hard or soft I throw the ball is beyond me. I know errors are up to chance, but MVP had it down with making you decide how important an out was. Is it worth the possible error from overthrowing....or do you play it safe with a light toss.

Hitting also pissed me off about both next gen games. I felt like everything was predetermined. How the hell do I pull a ball that the game tells me I am late on. I look at the reply and the ball is almost past the plate, yet I pull it. The unrealistic hitting results really got to me.

The next gen games just took the user control out of hitting an fielding and everything feels predetermined and I might as well watch a cpu vs cpu match because sometimes I felt as if my actions were arbitrary.

EDIT:

It just seemed as if the two companies do not really think about user control and realistic physics too much. User control is needed for gameplay and they focus more on presentation more than anything.

While I do agree with you about 2K9 I just don't see the problem you're having with the Show. I've been playing it alot recently and I love it. Granted, you have a point that on dives in the field you do have more control with MVP. As far as everything else goes though I don't have any of the same issues. If I tap the button on a throw it'll be in the dirt, if I hold it too long it gets airmailed. And I couldn't imagine a better hitting engine. It's the first baseball game I've played where it wasn't a challenge to get pitchers up to realistic pitch counts and it's simply because, like in real life, if solid contact isn't made the ball's hit foul. If you're way ahead or behind it goes foul (if you make contact). Last night I had a pitcher up to about eighty pitches by the 3rd inning. He was having control issues and the CPU would foul off one after another until I made a mistake. On the other hand, I just played a game today in which my pitcher had all of his stuff working for him, got 10 strikeouts and didn't reach 100 pitches until the 7th inning. On thing I would recommend is using the guess pitch feature and using the plate coverage indicator. If you don't use the pci it can become too easy to hit after a few games. If you use the pci without trying to guess pitches you won't hit anything however.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if there weren't a number of people on the Show's staff that were also on MVP's staff because the games feel remarkably similar in how they play...

One more thing: I've got those great results on the Show without adjusting a single slider. As I play more I may make a few tweaks but I'm quite happy with how it's playing as is for now...

Archived