St. Louis - Gateway Getaway

Pirate

Any St. Louis residents want to offer up some Chmaber of Commerce/Visitor Center info on what my wife and I should do if we visit town this weekend. Anything we should avoid, other than East St. Louis? Is there a restaurant that we shouldn't miss?

We are looking to arrive Saturday and leave Monday, both by car.

There's an italian restaurant, don't know the name, but it's along the riverfront. Was walking distance to Busch, still is I guess, and the thing that sticks it apart in addition to how good the food is is that it is inside a railroad car. If you say that, I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction. Mike Shannon has a restaurant/bar too near the capital building. Union Station is a cool place to go too. They have built a large mall around it and they have an out door ampitheatre where big name acts come and present live concerts. If you like beer there is the flagship Budweiser brewery. They offer tours and at the end free samples.

I think there might be a major league baseball team in St. Louis. Can't remember their name, however..... ^_^

That's a given. My wife said if we go to St. Louis for baseball I have to find something for her as well.

Hey Raptor... did they ever build that Ballpark Village? ;)

No ballpark village. They just asphalted over the bulk of it and turned it into a parking lot. It'll be used as a location for the All-Star tents and festivities.

The other half of the village? A softball field....

I was about to say the last time I was there (2 years ago), they had just started prelim work on Ballpark village.

I'm actually due for another trip there, and was gonna try to get allstar tix, but theat may be too pricey.

Some reccomenation froms all the times I visted over the last few years.

1. Need to see a game. The "See of Red" and the new ballpark is gorgeous, especially at night

2. A couple of restautants I went to are Mike Shannon's and Caleco's (downtown).

I also went Ozzie's (as he was my fave player) and a few other places, but I'm drawing a blank right now. Pujols also has a restaurant, but it wasn't open yet.

Note on Ozzie's it's not close to downtown (its west inside "Westport Plaza), since you have a car, you should be able to find it. I'm not from St. Louis, it took a 20-minute ride on the transit system. I'd recommend a car though.

http://www.ozziesrestaurantandsportsbar.com/

3. If you have never been to the city before, I'd recommend seeing the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial (aka "The Arch"). And you can go up to the top, too. I did a River Boat Ride and wnt to the top of the Arch about 5-years ago.

4. Of course, you have the Brewery, but who wants to visit the Brewery when you can go to tons of bars, especially Laclede's Landing (just north of Arch on the Riverfront) -- easy walk from downtown

www.lacledeslanding.org

And once you're done at the Cards game, if you want to have a small ballpark atmosphere with the talent equivalent to the double A's - hit a Gateway Grizzlies game...they're awesome...I'm from Springfield, MO (home of STL Card's AA team) and the atmospheres are the same - it's cheap entertainment if you want to catch another baseball game (I think 6 dollars for normal seating) - I'd hit the zoo if you guys are into animals (free to get in, but if you want to park close to the zoo, it'll cost [we parked about 2 blocks away and walked and got off free for the whole day]) If you guys like some dinner and a show theme, go to Lemp Mansion (it's a dinner and a show, but you're in the show and it's at a haunted house)

Those are a few things to do [i lived in the St Louis area for the better 14 years of my life]. I would avoid East St Louis (obviously), West St Louis and North St Louis, central and south are fine, just don't rub the wrong people...

Yeah, so far the itinerary includes:

Cards v. Royals (sitting in section 165 on third-base side)

City Museum

Arch for the wife, I've been there done that, she has not.

Forest Park

Rib America is going to be downtown all weekend so try to stop by there before or after the game and get some of the best BBQ you'll ever have. They usually have some pretty good music too.

RIB AMERICA

You won’t find a tastier mix of barbecue and music than at the 10th annual Rib America. Night Ranger, Shooting Star and Healing Sixes are May 22. Bret Michaels, Warrant, Firehouse, Shemekia Copeland and Sean Holland perform May 23. Third Eye Blind, Cowboy Mouth, Robert Earl Keen, the Elms and Borrow Tomorrow perform May 24. Saving Abel, Jackyl, Beatlemania Live! and Fabulous Motown Revue take the stage May 25.

How did everyone fail to mention City museum! That place was the craziest most fun I have had in years. I suggest everyone book a trip to St. Louis to visit City Museum by itself. Busch Stadium was pretty impressive as well. And major props for the free zoo.

Archived