Sigs

LetsGoOakland

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BAMA'S SUPER EASY CUTOUT TUTORIALâ„¢

"So Easy, Even I Can Do Them!"

This tutorial is for users using The GIMP which can be found somewhere online. Photoshoppers can probably use this too, while they gloat (or while they 6560.jpg [Ross GLOAD] (yes I know i'm lame)) about having 600 bucks to spend on software. Anyways...

We're going to use an Hi-Res image of Chase Utley found on CBS Sportsline for this tutorial.

Here's the picture: utley.jpg

You can download the picture here: http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212/Th...orial/utley.jpg

Now, Open the Image in GIMP. Select the scissors tool with a 10 pt radius, feather edges and anti-aliasing. Anti-Aliasing prevents jagged edges, and feather edges allows the glowing effect around the cutout, along with leaving less jagged edges that look like poor free-hand cutouts. Here's what your toolkit should look like: Tools.jpg

Using the scissors, select a starting point around Utley. Make sure it borders him. Click that point and let go of the mouse. Now select another nearby point around Utley. If a line connecting 2 points cuts into Utley, manually drag that line to where you want it to be. When you almost return to your starting point, make one last vertex (point/dot) right next to your first one. Now click your first dot/point/vertex. When your mouse hovers over that point, your cursor should change to an arrow with a four-headed arrow. Click that. Now click inside your image (your cursor should now look like scissors). If you did it correctly, your image should be surrounded by a blinking black and white outline like this: outlined.jpg

If not, start over. (Just click any other tool then the scissors to start over).

EDIT: Ok, well not like that, but that's how the image should look before you click inside of it. The yellowish/black-white dotted outline around the whole canvas should take the place (minus the yellow) of the line with dots on it if you do the above correctly. Sorry for any problems this may have caused :D

Now cut or copy the selection (Ctrl+X or Ctrl+C)

Now, click file, new, you will see a dialog box. View all the options and select a transparent background. Do not worry about the size, GIMP will automatically generate the correct size: new.jpg

Now paste your image: lastone.jpg

Next, click Layer and select "Anchor Layer'' to make your image 1 layer.

You may have some areas that need cleaning up. For example, between Utley's right arm and his lower torso there's a tan mark (a specator's head). You can't see it in the above picture because I already cleaned it up, but you can here: Utley.png. To remove it, outline the blob of the guy's head with the scissors, select it, and cut it out, or erase it.

Finally, clean up whatever needs to be cleaned up. You should end up with something like this: Finished.png

Save your image as a .psd, .png, or .gif. Congrats! You're done!

Guys, as a request, please let me know if this tutorial helped you out. Thanks!

Its easy. Anyways, here is a sig i just whipped up:

Bedard.gif

Looks real good, man! If I were you, though, I'd blend the O's logo, and use a better font for Bedard's first name. Other than that, great job!

Nice job on the tutorial Bama. The only problem I have with it is the 10px Feather.....You could have that glowing effect, but it's not good for when you want sharp renders. Instead, use Feathering when cutting out hair. That usually works pretty well.

-dan

Nice job on the tutorial Bama. The only problem I have with it is the 10px Feather.....You could have that glowing effect, but it's not good for when you want sharp renders. Instead, use Feathering when cutting out hair. That usually works pretty well.

-dan

very good point

Go to MLB and then the photo gallery. Find the picture you want, and copy the URL. Replace the "_lower.jpg" with "_1024x768.jpg" and then load the image, and it's nice and big.

On your sig what text did u use to write Johan's name and Liriano's name? Give me a link.