Player Ratings

mrg1

There's no accurate formula for anything, and formulae just don't rhyme especially with pitching. I can only suggest you to take a look at GForce22's TotalMinors to see how he did his. I think his roster has the best minor league setup.

Thanks, Cris. I just posted in a "Mod Request" thread I started regarding TotalMinors about the speed calculations and my formulas to rate them.

I'm certainly glad to help advise in any way. I just don't have time for all the data entry this year. If I could get all the guys entered into the game and I wouldn't have to do it, then I could probably contribute something. But this way, I can at least help those who have the time to do rosters this year.

GH

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was discussing this in another thread but was wondering whether everyone used one year stats, career stats, three year stats, projected stats?

I know some fantasy baseball mags have projected stats for some of the bigger name players. Those might be worthwhile using when calculating stats. I just think going off one year isn't a good way to go since people can have off years but that doesnt meant that persons overall abilities have diminished.

A question for paulw: do you make any adjustments when making stats for players of different eras or do you keep your formulas consistent?

what is the bottom line? what does everyone agree is the best formula system to use - paulw's, one post that said mvp uses ((bavg*100)-200)/2)+30.5, or another post that said the mvp formula was ((bavg*10000-300)/5)+30.5? which one of these do most of you favor?

I was discussing this in another thread but was wondering whether everyone used one year stats, career stats, three year stats, projected stats?

I know some fantasy baseball mags have projected stats for some of the bigger name players. Those might be worthwhile using when calculating stats. I just think going off one year isn't a good way to go since people can have off years but that doesnt meant that persons overall abilities have diminished.

A question for paulw: do you make any adjustments when making stats for players of different eras or do you keep your formulas consistent?

I've always used 3 years of weighted stats as well as ZIPS projections.

GH

GForce-

i assume when you say "weighted" you are implying something like (general idea, not the #'s):

15%- ZIP projection

40%- previous year

30%- 2 years back

15%- 3 years back

may i ask, since you have experience as a professional roster developer, are these things that were agreed upon by:

1) a "round table" of stat geeks

2) starting with an actual year in the past and working backwards to find the best regression statistic to fit the "weights"

3) to fit agreed upon ratings (i.e., make the data fit the theory, as my former professors would call it)

4) something totally different

when you say some stats were weighted according to their stadium (location), how were you able to do this in the minors? did you have to it by league? are there splits available per stadium?

when evaluating speed, the most effective (almost universally) method is home to first times. An professional article posted at: http://www.asep.org/jeponline/issue/Doc/Ju...4/ColemanV2.pdf

"Some teams routinely time players during spring drills at 30 and 60 yard intervals. These data are useful,but the times are artficial. Players, who run good times in a speed test, don't always run as fast in games situations. Game times are more valid than speed tests because they tell coaches how fast a player is when it counts, in game situations." Scouts routinely keep records of these in-game times for nearly every player. does the public ever see any of these numbers? how about a company that spends million$ for licensing rights?

just curious? picking your brain. thanks for the time.

Cris987,

My apologies. The above:

Slugging % > .650 = Rating of 15

Slugging % < .150 = Rating of 0

Should have been:

Slugging % > .650 = Power Rating of 100

Slugging % < .150 = Power Rating of 0

stecropper and paulw. these are very good formulas. i know this has been asked in a previous post, but do either one of you have a formula for pitchers? i know it's hard to nail down a velocity or which pitch does what, but maybe something with the control could be formulized. - walks, k's, wp, whip, etc.

stecropper, paulw and others-

please accept my apologies for the 'left field' post on this page. it was meant for GForce's "Mod request" thread. oops. [two forums at once is evidently too much for me].

Guys, sometimes I think you are reinventing the wheel... in my opinion, the numbers have corresponding game effects. Take those effects for real life players and divide them into 100 categories (for 1-100 scale or 75 if scale is 25-100, etc).

For example, if Power = Homeruns in the game then you take the top HR hitter (either total or HR/AB depending of if you like total numbers or averages). So if Bonds was the top with 59 home runs in X year. Then Bonds power = 100 and you scale down from there. Im sure Paul can figure out a formula for that :)

So take the rating, figure out what "real life" stat to use and then scale.

Just my opinion.

Of course, this doesnt help with the harder stats like fielding ability and stuff, but in my opinion those are never accurate anyway. People said Cameron was the best center fielder and the boy sucked at Shea last year. In my opinion, these stats need a "round table" of unbiased guys keeping reins on everyone being rated 80+. But even then, if you made a list of best fielders from 1-XXX you could scale them. Vlad has the best arm in the outfield, so he gets 100, So and so is next, etc.

Nope ..... I was wrong ---- Plate Discipline was derived as follows:

Ws / Ks * 100 + .5 = DF

DF was a Discipline Factor

then

(( DF + Contact Rating ) / 2 )+ .5 * .1 = Plate Discipline

when i use this formula for plate discipline, the numbers are a lot less than what's shown in mvpedit. is there some factor missing that mvpedit is using? as an example: a lot of times the player's plate discipline in mvpedit might show 8, but using the above forumula, i come up with a 5 or something like that. i tried editing about 10 players and all of them had way lower plate discipline numbers from the formula than what was listed. btw - i'm using spanish fly roster update version 4 w/laa & lad)

• 11 months later...

when i use this formula for plate discipline, the numbers are a lot less than what's shown in mvpedit. is there some factor missing that mvpedit is using? as an example: a lot of times the player's plate discipline in mvpedit might show 8, but using the above forumula, i come up with a 5 or something like that. i tried editing about 10 players and all of them had way lower plate discipline numbers from the formula than what was listed. btw - i'm using spanish fly roster update version 4 w/laa & lad)

it works, if you are using excel try this

((( DF + Contact Rating ) / 2 )+ .5) * .1 = Plate Discipline

roster2el.png

1st off this is the first time I have ever used Excel, I hope I did not screw anything up

By entering: ABs, battting average, slugging average, HRs, triples, doubles,

strikeouts, & walks this spreedsheet will give you HR%, contact, power, &

plate discipline for uses in updating rosters

HR% is a straight mathematical formula (HR/ABs)*100

Contact uses 3 sources

Poo Diddy's chart

http://forums.operationsports.com/vBulleti...ad.php?t=124013

MVPedit's Formula [((.BAvg * 1000) - 200 ) / 2 ) + 30.5]

PaulW's Formula [((350*Batting Average)-25)+((0.1-Strikeouts/At bats)*50)]

These 3 sources are added together and divided by 3

Power Uses 4 Sources

Poo Diddy's chart

http://forums.operationsports.com/vBulleti...ad.php?t=124013

highlight_reel chart

http://forums.operationsports.com/vBulleti...ad.php?t=160961

MVPedit's Formula [((.SLG% * 1000) - 300) / 5) + 30.5]

PaulW's Formula [(30+327.5*ISO-665*ISO^2+488*ISO^3)-(2*(5-Hr%))]

These 4 sources are added together and divided by 4

Plate discipline uses MVPedit's Formula

Ws / Ks * 100 + .5 = DF

(LHP contact + RHP contact)/2 = Contact Rating

((( DF + Contact Rating ) / 2 )+ .5) * .1 = Plate Discipline

I want to thank myeggs. If he had not released his excel sheet using Poo Diddy's chart I would not have had any idea on how to start making this sheet.

If anyone wants to play around with this spreadsheet and you do not know how to get around the passwords, PM me and I will give them to you

Nice work kraw. One question, though: How come the doubles and triples don't seem to effect anything? If I enter huge numbers or low numbers for those stats it doesn't effect the contact or power ratings at all. Is it supposed to be like that, or is it a bug?

file updated to stop ratings over 100

the doubles and triples is for highlight_reel power chart

Power vs. RHP/LHP: The next formula I use (created by yours truly) is located here.

For the Japanese League majors, subtract 9

For AAA, subtract 15

For AA, subtract 19

For High A, subtract 23

For Low A, subtract 28

For Rookie ball, subtract 35

For College, subtract 40

For High School, subtract 45

By the way, always pro-rate a players season to 500 at-bats*.

Rating.....Homeruns

99...........49+

59...........9 (if he has 25+ E.B. hits**)

58...........9 (if he has less than 25 E.B. hits)

57...........8 (if he has 25+ E.B. hits)

56...........8 (if he has less than 25 E.B. hits)

55...........7 (if he has 25+ E.B. hits)

54...........7 (if he has less than 25 E.B. hits)

53...........6 (if he has 25+ E.B. hits)

52...........6 (if he has less than 25 E.B. hits)

51...........5 (if he has 25+ E.B. hits)

50...........5 (if he has less than 25 E.B. hits)

49...........4 (if he has 25+ E.B. hits)

48...........4 (if he has less than 25 E.B. hits)

47...........3 (if he has 25+ E.B. hits)

46...........3 (if he has less than 25 E.B. hits)

45...........2 (if he has 25+ E.B. hits)

44...........2 (if he has less than 25 E.B. hits)

43...........1 (if he has 25+ E.B. hits)

42...........1 (if he has less than 25 E.B. hits)

41...........0 (if he has 25+ E.B. hits)

40...........0 (if he has 21-24 E.B. hits)

39...........0 (if he has 15-20 E.B. hits)

38...........0 (if he has 6-14 E.B. hits)

37...........0 (if he has 5- E.B. hits)

**An E.B. hit, according to me, is a double or a triple. Homeruns do not count as E.B. hits, at least for this chart.

By the way, always pro-rate a players season to 500 at-bats*.

Should you only do this when they have less than 500 ABs? Or always? I pro-rated Mike Lowells 3 years splits to 500 ABs and the difference was only 1 point in the power rating. I just want to know when it is necessary, because it takes longer to adjust it to 500 ABs.

very very intersting topic. anyone know a downloadable spread sheet program? I have one in the microsoft works package that i have but it will not open up xlr files. damn microsoft.

Try Open Office. I've never used it but I'm pretty sure it has functionality with Excel files.

Also, ESPN Insider can be a useful resource for judging rating such as arm strength, baserunning skills, etc. There are free scouting reports available on ESPNInsider. Also, if you have a paid subscription yoou can get great info on pitchers pitch types alogn with rating for movement and control.

ZIPs projections can be obtained for free off www.baseballthinkfactory.com

These can be useful when trying to create ratings for 2006 rosters.

I just looked at the 2005 ZIPs projections and I'm not too impressed

but here is the new ones for 2006

I just looked at the 2005 ZIPs projections and I'm not too impressed

but here is the new ones for 2006

I think PECOTA ratings are considered more accurate but you need a Baseball Prospectus subscription to get them.

Archived