Too Many Grounders In The Middle

druan

Both CPU and I are hitting a lot of grounders in the middle. I was just wondering whether this is normal. If not what part of the datafile should I edit in order to balance out the result? I am currently using the default datafile. Thanks a lot.

There's a lot of different datafiles out there. Look in the download section and you'll see that your going to have a lot of choices for this. Try out some of the latest ones and you'll see some differences in game play.

Both CPU and I are hitting a lot of grounders in the middle. I was just wondering whether this is normal. If not what part of the datafile should I edit in order to balance out the result? I am currently using the default datafile. Thanks a lot.

What I do when I download a roster is take the time to individualize the ratings for hit placement and groundball/flyball/liner dispersal for each active MLB batter. The quick way is to use Dylan Bradbury's Batting rating calculator. Most rosters do not get too detailed about how often each batter pulls a pitch or goes to the opposite field, or whether he is more apt to fly out, or ground out. So what you get is spray charts that look like this for every batter: <33%-lf 34%-cf 33%-rf>. This will result in a lot of batted balls being hit up the middle on hittable pitches over the plate. But if a right handed slugger comes up with a spray chart of <52%-lf 32%-cf 16%-rf>, he will hit these same pitches to the left side of the field, and rarely to the right side, especially if his hot zones are red middle in. Ichiro's spray chart may look like this: <38%-lf 36%-cf 26%-rf>, with most of the red hot zones middle-out. Dylan's Batting Calculator takes the stats entered into it and gives very realistic ratings for groundball/flyball/liner/homerun dispersal. Power hitters will hit more flyballs and slap hitters will hit more groundballs. If you see batters rated for 25% linedrives or more, you will see too many liners. The best hitters hit linedrives only 20% of the total batted balls they put in play. Where a hitter "sprays" the ball is available on a lot of the stats based web-sites, but just a good knowledge of the different types of works for me when I rate them. What is a real cool thing is watching the defense (I play cpu vs cpu) adjust to the type of hitter that is at bat. If the hitter is an average hitter that uses all fields, they will play him straight up. If you have rated him to pull, watch the defense swing way around to the pull side. Also, you will get a pull hitter badly fooled by a pitch who bloops one to the opposite field, causing all kinds of havoc. If you take the time to make these adjustments, you will find pitchers being bailed out by the double play way more often. This game has a great physics engine. With the right numbers in the right places, your MVP experience will be a very realistic one.

Y4L is right. The datafile makes the difference in realistic gameplay and even ball physics. As stated, there are plenty to choose from. I posted my sliders and datafile (heavily based off of True's datafile) in the downloads section. I had the exact same results (balls hit up the middle) as you did using the default datafile.

If desired, you might give mine a shot:

http://www.mvpmods.c...s&showfile=5919

Good luck.

Thanks guys. Really appriciate all the prompt replies. I'll give JoeRudi's datafile a try. I hope you haven't modified the batting camera views. I prefer the original 4- centre one.