Earned Runs...Am I correct on this one?

MaddiesDaddy

I was just playing an exhibition game....

with two outs and a runner on first I hit a ground ball to 2nd , the fielder boots it...runners are safe at first and 2nd and still 2 outs (obviously).

Next batter hits a liner over the shortstop and the runner on 2nd scores.

As far as I know this run should be unearned. Correct?

Well the box score showed it as an earned run. 8O

Is this another bug??? If so this is a really bad one. I mean it would be messing with the ERA stats...which is a biggie.

it is an earned run, because the guy on second got on base without error, but the guy on first did, therefore the runner on second scoring is earned, but if the guy on first scored it would not be an earned run.

no,its a bug,the run is unearned because if the error had not been made,the inning would have been over.

That's what I thought since there were two outs.

If there was less than two outs only the batter who reached on an error would be unearned...I think.

the runner on second is earned, i am positive...dont even try to tell me no because i know the rules of the game, not a glitch, just the rules of the game

Any Runs scored after the potential 3rd out of an inning would have occurred had it not been for an error is considered an Unearned Run is what I have always thought the scoring rule to be.

EARNED RUNS

An earned run is a run for which the pitcher is held accountable. In determining earned runs, the inning should be reconstructed without the errors (which include catcher's interference) and passed balls, and the benefit of the doubt should always be given to the pitcher in determining which bases would have been reached by errorless play. For the purpose of determining earned runs, an intentional base on balls, regardless of the circumstances, shall be construed in exactly the same manner as any other base on balls. (a) An earned run shall be charged every time a runner reaches home base by the aid of safe hits, sacrifice bunts, a sacrifice fly, stolen bases, putouts, fielder's choices, bases on balls, hit batters, balks or wild pitches (including a wild pitch on third strike which permits a batter to reach first base) before fielding chances have been offered to put out the offensive team. For the purpose of this rule, a defensive interference penalty shall be construed as a fielding chance. (1) A wild pitch is solely the pitcher's fault, and contributes to an earned run just as a base on balls or a balk. (B) No run shall be earned when scored by a runner who reaches first base (1) on a hit or otherwise after his time at bat is prolonged by a muffed foul fly; (2) because of interference or obstruction or (3) because of any fielding error. © No run shall be earned when scored by a runner whose life is prolonged by an error, if such runner would have been put out by errorless play. (d) No run shall be earned when the runner's advance is aided by an error, a passed ball, or defensive interference or obstruction, if the scorer judges that the run would not have scored without the aid of such misplay. (e) An error by a pitcher is treated exactly the same as an error by any other fielder in computing earned runs. (f) Whenever a fielding error occurs, the pitcher shall be given the benefit of the doubt in determining to which bases any runners would have advanced had the fielding of the defensive team been errorless. (g) When pitchers are changed during an inning, the relief pitcher shall not be charged with any run (earned or unearned) scored by a runner who was on base at the time he entered the game, nor for runs scored by any runner who reaches base on a fielder's choice which puts out a runner left on base by the preceding pitcher.

NOTE: It is the intent of this rule to charge each pitcher with the number of runners he put on base, rather than with the individual runners. When a pitcher puts runners on base, and is relieved, he shall be charged with all runs subsequently scored up to and including the number of runners he left on base when he left the game, unless such runners are put out without action by the batter, i.e., caught stealing, picked off base, or called out for interference when a batter runner does not reach first base on the play. EXCEPTION: see example 7. EXAMPLES: (1) P1 walks A and is relieved by P2. B grounds out, sending A to second. C flies out. D singles, scoring A. Charge run to P1. (2) P1 walks A and is relieved by P2. B forces A at second. C grounds out, sending B to second. D singles, scoring B. Charge run to P1. (3) P1 walks A and is relieved by P2. B singles, sending A to third. C grounds to short, and A is out at home, B going to second. D flies out. E singles, scoring B. Charge run to P1. (4) P1 walks A and is relieved by P2. B walks. C flies out. A is picked off second. D doubles, scoring B from first. Charge run to P2. (5) P1 walks A and is relieved by P2. P2 walks B and is relieved by P3. C forces A at third. D forces B at third. E hits home run, scoring three runs. Charge one run to P1; one run to P2, one run to P3. (6) P1 walks A, and is relieved by P2, P2 walks B. C singles, filling the bases. D forces A at home. E singles, scoring B and C. Charge one run to P1 and one run to P2. (7) P1 walks A, and is relieved by P2. P2 allows B to single, but A is out trying for third. B takes second on the throw. C singles, scoring B. Charge run to P2. (h) A relief pitcher shall not be held accountable when the first batter to whom he pitches reaches first base on four called balls if such batter has a decided advantage in the ball and strike count when pitchers are changed. (1) If, when pitchers are changed, the count is 2 balls, no strike, 2 balls, 1 strike, 3 balls, no strike, 3 balls, 1 strike, 3 balls, 2 strikes, and the batter gets a base on balls, charge that batter and the base on balls to the preceding pitcher, not to the relief pitcher. (2) Any other action by such batter, such as reaching base on a hit, an error, a fielder's choice, a force out, or being touched by a pitched ball, shall cause such a batter to be charged to the relief pitcher. NOTE: The provisions of 10.18 (h) (2) shall not be construed as affecting or conflicting with the provisions of 10.18 (g). (3) If, when pitchers are changed, the count is 2 balls, 2 strikes, 1 ball, 2 strikes, 1 ball, 1 strike, 1 ball, no strike, no ball, 2 strikes, no ball, 1 strike, charge that batter and his actions to the relief pitcher. (i) When pitchers are changed during an inning, the relief pitcher shall not have the benefit of previous chances for outs not accepted in determining earned runs. NOTE: It is the intent of this rule to charge relief pitchers with earned runs for which they are solely responsible. In some instances, runs charged as earned against the relief pitcher can be charged as unearned against the team. EXAMPLES: (1) With two out, P1 walks A. B reaches base on an error. P2 relieves P1. C hits home run, scoring three runs. Charge two unearned runs to P1, one earned run to P2. (2) With two out, P1 walks A and B and is relieved by P2. C reaches base on an error. D hits home run, scoring four runs. Charge two unearned runs to P1, two unearned runs to P2. (3) With none out, P1 walks A. B reaches base on an error. P2 relieves P1. C hits home run, scoring three runs. D and E strike out. F reaches base on an error. G hits home run, scoring two runs. Charge two runs, one earned, to P1. Charge three runs, one earned, to P2.

could it have been that it was a ground ball error as opposed to an error on a fly ball or throwing error, that a ground ball is not a guarenteed out, like if the player were to field the ball cleanly fall down and not get the ball off, thats not an error and the runners would both be potentially earned runs

So...let's say there are two outs and there's an error which would have been the third out occurs. Then, the pitcher gives up a homerun to the each of the next ten batters...No runs are earned? I don't think that's correct.

That is exactly correct. If there are 2 outs and an error is made, every run scored after that is unearned. Even if 20 runs are scored they're unearned.

could it have been that it was a ground ball error as opposed to an error on a fly ball or throwing error, that a ground ball is not a guarenteed out, like if the player were to field the ball cleanly fall down and not get the ball off, thats not an error and the runners would both be potentially earned runs

the player falling down...although unfortunate...I believe would be an error...unless he was going deep in the hole, had to make a great turn and throw all in one motion

but for a routine grounder right at the infielder...which this was (grounder was right to the second baseman)...falling down or anything besides an out is an error

That is exactly correct. If there are 2 outs and an error is made, every run scored after that is unearned. Even if 20 runs are scored they're unearned.

Yes this is true. Read a few posts prior from stecropper.

So it looks like we have a bug! :x

Archived