Simmed Season Stats

jackcasper49

some of you maybe aware that I have had a quandry with simmed season stats for awhile now that has left a bitter taste in my mouth with my roster work ...

I did some testing at the hints of GeForce22 ... here's what I found out on two fronts for now:

You can reduce walks by lower Plate Discipline, but that has no affect on strikeouts, NONE

You can reduce contact and that will increase strikeouts a bit, but you have to go drastic in the reductions (i.e. if everyone with low discipline has a contact rating of 20 (thus leaving some people high)) Johan Santana will lead the league with 316K's ... this has some affect on walks as well, though not much

good news for sure, cuz this means I can make some changes ... bad news is this could pose a problem over time with progression and rookies coming in with too high of ratings ... my intial thought, without much testing, is that contact will need to go way down for minor league hitters and many major league hitters as well, power will go up a bit for many hitters ... stuff for many pitchers will go up, but control will go down for many

one problem that still exists and I haven't had a thought on fixing it, is that certain pitchers aren't more prone to walking people (in simmed games) than others ... i.e. Schilling will still walk about as many as Victor Zambrano ... not sure what will help this, though I didn't see if with lower contact the difference became more apparent ... any thoughts?

there is a lot of good news here, it means that I can probably get things tweaked around quite a bit and get many stats where they should be

• 2 months later...

I feel your pain, brotha.

Stats is so crucial to baseball it never ceases to amaze how little EA cares.

Any extensive research on Batter tendencies? It's BS that we have to lower contact so much to see Ks go up as obviously that lowers avgs just as drastically as it raises Ks.

I spent my first day of MVP 05 trying to adjust simulated K counts and to my dismay found that batter tendencies do little to nothing in strikeout performance (so wtf are they there for, I wonder). There were no such attributes in 04 and I had falsely thought that EA somehow realized their mistake - boy I was way off.

A big problem for me with just adjusting the contact is that you CAN raise pitcher K counts but you cannot LOWER batter k counts. Which means a Pujols, who had almost as many HRs as Ks last year gets 90+ in a simmed MVP year. Grrrr

As I said, the batter tendencies appear to do NOTHING (to ks atleast). So, I don;t know what those are for.

Change Pujols miss/chase attributes all the way to ZERO and he'll get ~40ks by June 7th in a simulated dynasty; change these same attributes to 99 and he'll get ~40ks by June 7th in a simmed dynasty.

Worthless :angry:

u have to couple hit miss/chase/take thing with lower contact ratings.. or use a roster set where they did a lot of testing with simmed seasons to make sure stats came up accurate

Using Ultimate Rosters, but there's nothing they can do that I can't. But Ultimate Rosters don't come out with realistic Ks anyways. - Not their fault, it's EA's lack of giving a sh!t.

Are there rosters out there that have covered this that I'm not aware of?

I'm not going to go through 200+ pages in Ultimate Roster thread looking for something I don't know is even there (talk of simmed ks)...

They discuss simmed avgs and Hrs etc but not Ks, that I can see.

Well, I tried the last thing I could think of besides lowering all contact on batters to zero; I increased the K stats of all pitchers by 50%. So Johnson through well over 500ks (i think it was 600 actually) in 2004 suggested by Spitoon... but alas, K numbers remained the same in 2005 with Oliver Perez at 232ks in ~260ip after a simmed season. So career stats in MVPedit have no effect.

I'm thinking of returning this game.

How can a BASEBALL game ignore STRIKEOUT stats? Insult to us baseball fan customers is all I can come up with. This is like having an NFL game where QBs throw 20 TDs a year to lead the league (and there being NOTHING you can do about it), or in baseball terms, having the RBI leader every year at 87.

Unbelievably annoying and it's hard to believe more people aren't outraged over this.

Having inaccurate stats out of the box I can live with, but not being able to do A DAMN THING ABOUT IT is beyond lousy, it SUCKS.

Here is something I noticed.....I did not, however, test completely.....

when I lowered the contact attribute significantly, it affected my ability (and the cpus ability) to foul off pitches....thus affecting, the pitch count......those marginal pitches near the zone that could be fouled off, to stay alive in the at bat, are now being missed......where I had pretty good pitch counts before, they are now on the low side.....the solution might be to raise the contact via the sliders for played games......I'm not sure, must do more testing.......what do you think?

Here is something I noticed.....I did not, however, test completely.....

when I lowered the contact attribute significantly, it affected my ability (and the cpus ability) to foul off pitches....thus affecting, the pitch count......those marginal pitches near the zone that could be fouled off, to stay alive in the at bat, are now being missed......where I had pretty good pitch counts before, they are now on the low side.....the solution might be to raise the contact via the sliders for played games......I'm not sure, must do more testing.......what do you think?

As far as I have seen so far, that would be the only way to increase K's. If you notice, pitchers have very low contact numbers, many in single digits, and they are fairly easy to strike out. So if you globally lower contact numbers then you'd likely increase K's, however I'm sure it would come at the expense of hits. Then you'd have pitchers with more K's than innings (as it should be), but you might end up with the league leader in hits at 170 or so, which is significantly low.

Spitoon is right, as I've simmed many seasons with contact 50% lower across the board.

It's not really a solution, but might be all we got. Ks are STILL not high enough even with a 50% decrease to contact, just to demonstrate how severe the problem is.

Archived