Ripping commentary from Triple Play 2001

Hello to anyone reading this!

I've been struggling with this issue for quite some time and I'm not sure how to move forward since no matter what program I use, I haven't been able to rip the .BIG files from Triple Play 2001.

I mainly want to use the commentary from the Extreme Big League Challenge because of the amount of voice lines both Buck and Jim recorded for hitting various targets in the Living Room, Castle, and Construction Site venues is nothing short of funny.

I've tried Dragon UnPacker, FinalBIG, anything that can open these types of files has lead to the same issue of them being unable to load them, with FinalBIG hanging and UnPacker somehow unable to recognize the format even though it's supported by other EA games.

Is there anything that I can do to rip these commentary files, or am I out of luck?

75709ccc365ef429c456a0114b7d0b12.png

8 hours ago, DJ Ultima Spark said:

I've tried bigGUI, but all it does is tell me that the .big file has an "invalid header."

Even if I did burn the game to a disc, I still think it would give me the same error.

1103e227aa8b1fe67ebb8e7b7900ce95.png

Make sure the .big file isn't set to "read only". If the file is read-only, it won't let you load or extract anything.

While I am able to untick the read-only box with the iso mounted, trying to apply gives me the access denied error, even though my account on the computer that I'm using is an administrator.

I've tried simply pressing the ignore all button, but that does nothing.

Normally the security tab should show up as the third option, but it doesn't with the iso mounted.

Now I'm getting really confused and frustrated. For a file type that has lots of documentation to the point where it's considered trivial, I feel like I just keep hitting roadblock after roadblock.

c0568c855ac5ed31316f3096ed9fd656.png

I don't think we'd be able to crack this file.

So many tools and utilities are considered lost media given the limited amount of tools from that time.

There used to be a roster editor for those games by a guy named El Salsero who left the Triple Play "scene" a little after MVP Baseball 2003 was announced by EA as the next baseball title, for example.

I'm just as much of a historian as Yankee4Life with the Triple Play era stuff ;) 

Disappointing, but not too surprising.

😔

Guess the only way I'll be able to rip the commentary in Extreme Big League Challenge is to do it the hard way by hitting every target and recording all the voice clips manually.

15 minutes ago, DJ Ultima Spark said:

Disappointing, but not too surprising.

😔

Guess the only way I'll be able to rip the commentary in Extreme Big League Challenge is to do it the hard way by hitting every target and recording all the voice clips manually.

There should be options in the game to turn down SFX and other sounds so you can probably record the audio the old fashioned way!

Last ditch option is the extractor tool, which can be found in the MVP Baseball 2005 - Tools & Editors section of our downloads. You may have to change the language to English since I think it's somthing different in the default settings, but that's how I've managed to get tricky team sound files from MVP05. Open the .big file in that, and if that doesn't work, I've got nothin'.

11 hours ago, BallFour said:

Last ditch option is the extractor tool, which can be found in the MVP Baseball 2005 - Tools & Editors section of our downloads. You may have to change the language to English since I think it's somthing different in the default settings, but that's how I've managed to get tricky team sound files from MVP05. Open the .big file in that, and if that doesn't work, I've got nothin'.

Managed to find the extractor tool and rip a bunch of files from both of the .big files, and now they're in .mus format which is also documented well.

Now I have to go through each file one by one or get a batch script to rip them in good quality to either mp3 or wav format. Since it's considered raw data, I have to adjust the Hz in Audacity and MFAudio until the pitch is normalized, and then find a way to remove the "clicks" in each data file to get the cleanest sample.

It's also gonna take some time, since there are A TON of .mus files to parse through.

Good news and bad news:

Bad news: all the .mus files in both the ZYZZPBP.big or ZZZZPBP.big files that i've tried are just the home run announced for each team or is raw data that can't seem to be molded into actual audio.

Good news: I've been quite successful so far on my journey of finding the Extreme Big League Challenge sound clips.

This is what I have so far, and I still have some more to go.

Side note: I was never aware that the chandelier was an actual target in the Living Room. I thought it was for decoration until I hit it.

02bc43c80b4513322c98695a3284d25e.png