If You Can Find These We're Golden (Player Progression)

billharris44

I've tried multiple approaches to getting walks up to the right level via the player progression (and creation) variables. Nothing works, at least not in making a significant difference. As one example, I lowered the contact/power ratings distribution for created players, then increased the probability of the ratings increasing for ages 18-22. Since all position player ratings use the same probability table, the delta for increase between 18-22 should have increased plate discipline beyond its previous level for created players. I thought that was a pretty interesting workaround, but it didn't work.

Here's where I could use some help. I have looked in .big and .dat files endlessly, and I can't find the speed or plate discipline player creation distributions. It's not like they should be hidden--contact, power, fielding, baserunning, etc. are all in rookie.big. There's a discipli.csv, which obviously stands for "discipline," but it's not plate discipline. PD and BB are directly correlated, so if I could find the .csv file that governs ratings upon creation for plate discipline, it would be easy to fix.

Same thing with steals. I can bump up baserunning skill, but I can't find the player creation file for speed.

So as you guys bump around these files, and I know some of you do, please keep a lookout for those two items. I could get the player progression system to produce stats within 3-5% of all major statistical categories if I could find those two items. Thanks.

Okay, finally I've got a bit of a handle on this. The reason that there's not a .csv for plate discipline is that it's a calculated field. There's a random variable involved, but contact rating definitely affects it, because increasing the contact rating for created players increases plate discipline overall.

So I've got some leverage on this now. I just had a 20-year run where I gained 600+ walks over v1. If I can get another 600-750, I'd have the variance cut in half, to around 10-12%. I was also able to cut the home run variance by another 3%.

So I think this is going to get resolved.

We nailed it. 16,200 walks in MLB last year. 15,934 after 20 years of a Dynasty. Within 2%.

I have to dial back offense slightly, so the stable state is probably going to be around 15,500, but that's still within 5%, and runs and strikeouts have improved accuracy as well.

It's probably going to take 3-4 days to finish tuning this up. Then I'll release an update.

Archived